Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
    California divorce
    I have been separated from my wife for about 4 or 5 years. We have a daughter together and have completely moved on with our lives. We get a long great but we simply have never gotten a divorce. I really need to get the process started now with my current relationship slowly moving that direction.

How do I get started? Can I do it myself? It will be totally clean.. there is nothing that we want from each other and we will be keeping visitation rights the same way they have always been.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2006, 01:27 PM
    You and your ex should go together and go see an attorney together.
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 01:43 PM
    Really? Does it warrant an attorney? Really all we want to do is sign a piece of paper that says we're divorced. There really isn't anything else to it.

Part of the reason we have never gotten off our butts to do this was the fact that neither of us cared to spend the $$ to get it taken care of.

I have heard that paralegals can do it but they even cost a couple hundred bucks.

Isn't there just an easy way for us to do it ourselves?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 02:18 PM
    You probably can do it yourself.

A quick search on Google, and I have found all of these “Do it yourself divorces”

Perhaps you should go to your local courthouse and talk with one of the clerks as to which forms to fill out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Because it will include child custody and child support, ( if I remember correctly California has requirements on this)

Also even though property settlement is done, it will have to be included and stated.

And it is just not a "paper" it is a court petition that will be signed into a court order. It has to meet many legal requirements.

Remember you and the ex are happy today with things but tomorrow either one of you could change your mind and want something different.

When you separated, was there a formal separation agreement, formal child custody paperwork and the such.

Most know that I will recommend para legals for a lot of issues, and even filing your own.

But at least here in TN and in GA, a couple can go to an attorney and get a divorce ageement done for about 400. ( a paralegal would be about 200)
    You want to make sure you are both protected and an attorney is best when you are also imcluding children and visistation and custody because it also includes future issues not just today's.
    maria26 Posts: 69, Reputation: 6

May 18, 2006, 10:08 PM
    I agree with Fr Chuck... today you might be in agreement with one another but tomorrow it could be an issue. As for the legal aspect, sorry I don't have much clue.
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2006, 10:28 AM
    I could see that being the case with many people... However, I assure you, it will not be the case with us. We have long since come to terms with one another.

I am looking into this now. I contacted her just to let her know that I finanally was and she was relieved. She said not to worry and to just take care of it.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California inheritance law? [ 3 Answers ]

I am married and live in California. I have inherited some money from my father and I want to know if this inheritance is community property or does it just belong to me alone?

California Condo law [ 1 Answers ]

Our condo complex has only four units. The homeowner who managed the financial and clerical aspects of our HOA died a few months ago. When her family put her condo on the market I made sure they were aware of the section in our CC&Rs that states "The Units shall be occupied and used by the...

California inheritance [ 2 Answers ]

My father died in 2000, and his wife (my step-mother) died this year, she has no descendents(children). There is property left that they jointly owned. My father's brother and my step-mother's brother have taken control of the estate. Don't I have a right to my father's estate? To his and his...

Divorce And Immigration Laws In California [ 5 Answers ]

I was roughly engaged and recently got married in February at the age of 18, my boyfriend at the time was having his immigration status reviewed so he asked to push the day forward. I agreed as to the fact that we were already engaged, he was terrified of being deported because of a domestic...

California [ 1 Answers ]

Contest Question 1 out of a hundred. I am having a lot of trouble with this one. Thanks for any help. A certain California drive-thru during its almost-90-year span of operation, before a snowstorm in the late sixties put it out of commission... What, where was it... I have tried tunnels,...

View more questions Search