Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zawatska Posts: 226, Reputation: 12

Aug 1, 2008, 02:07 PM
    Is this insurance fraud?
    Someone I know has Progressive Car Insurance and she lied to them by saying that her and her husband were separated and about to get a divorce, so her insurance is cheaper because her husband has no drivers license and isn't insured on the car.. is this insurance fraud because her husband really does live with her, drive the car everywhere without a license, isn't insured, and their not planning on getting a divorce...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zawatska
    Someone I know has Progressive Car Insurance and she lied to them by saying that her and her husband were seperated and about to get a divorce, so her insurance is cheaper because her husband has no drivers license and isn't insured on the car.. is this insurance fraud because her husband really does live with her, drive the car everywhere without a license, isnt insured, and their not planning on getting a divorce...

Yes, of course. It's also called lying. If there is an accident she has a really good chance of her claim being denied and she's not going to be covered.

And Progressive doesn't mess around.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 02:10 PM
    Why lie to save $10 a month, when you can not lie and save a life or someone's car or your own?

SERIOUSLY?

Aug 1, 2008, 03:03 PM
    I guess insurance can be SKY high if you add someone to your insurance who does not have a valid drivers license...
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 03:50 PM
    That's because you should have a license to drive. Why does he not have a license? A lot of insurances will not insure someone that is not licensed.

Aug 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
    My bad, he drives the car, but he is NOT on the insurance. If reported, would her insurance get dropped or her get arrested?
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I understand that. But he should not be driving anything but a bike if he doesn't have a valid driver's license or learner's permit.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 03:58 PM
    I guess insurance can be SKY high if you add someone to ur insurance who does not have a valid drivers license...

In NYS you can't legally add a person who is not licensed to your insurance policy - an unlicensed driver does not raise your rate because you can't add an unlicensed driver.

You also can't get your own auto insurance policy if you are not licensed.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 03:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I understand that. But he should not be driving anything but a bike if he doesn't have a valid driver's license or learner's permit.

What happened to your dog's photo? Wasn't she on your avatar? I hope nothing is wrong - ?

Read the past postings here -
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    In NYS you can't legally add a person who is not licensed to your insurance policy - an unlicensed driver does not raise your rate because you can't add an unlicensed driver.

You also can't get your own auto insurance policy if you are not licensed.
    That's what I thought.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
    My bad, he drives the car, but he is NOT on the insurance. If reported, would her insurance get dropped or her get arrested?

She could be arrested for insurance fraud, he could be arrested for driving without a license, she would be dropped by Progressive and possibly blackballed - she would pay assigned risk plus if she found another company to insure her.

In the event of an accident she most likely would be arrested for insurance fraud - as I said, Progressive is a big company in NYS and most decidedly does not fool around with things such as this. I work with Progressive adjusters, investigators and field personnel all the time.
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Insurance is not something to mess with. Again, I ask why does he not have a valid driver's license? That would solve the whole problem.

Aug 1, 2008, 04:59 PM
    Yea my bad, he is not insured, but drives the car anyway... he also does not have a license. What will happen if reported to the insurance company?
    Vision Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Yea my bad, he is not insured, but drives the car anyways.... he also does not have a license. What will happen if reported to the insurance company??
    Um, you said that already. I'm asking WHY he doesn't have a license.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Yea my bad, he is not insured, but drives the car anyways.... he also does not have a license. What will happen if reported to the insurance company??

Asked and answered.

Is it time to close this thread?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2008, 05:33 PM
    This question has been asked and answered adequately. Thread closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Insurance Fraud/Advance commission fraud [ 10 Answers ]

I'm sure this post with be confusing to some of you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was hired back in October of 2005 as an independent contractor selling life insurance policies. One of my clients that I sold a policy to mentioned that she had a few family members that were...

Insurance fraud? [ 3 Answers ]

We have started a new company and are learning a lot! We are coming up against a competetor who tells the homeowner that they do not have to pay a deductable on damage! This company will bury the deductable and the home owner is being told they might even get cash back? Isn't this FRAUD? ...

Insurance fraud [ 1 Answers ]

I have been married to my wife for a year and it has been horrible. She has turned into someone I do not even know. She has tried to commit auto insurance fraud but that was unsuccessful. Now a friend of hers has told me the health insurance she is currently on and has been on even before we were...

Is this insurance fraud? [ 1 Answers ]

A friend of mine cashed a check from his insurance company that was supposed to be used to pay the anesthesiology bill for surgery. The check was made out to him and him alone. His disability insurance was running out and he needed to pay his bills. He called up the anesthesiology people to make...

View more questions Search