Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ymy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 11:08 AM
    Cdn independent contractor works in U.S-tax exempt?
    Hello,

I am a Canadian and hold TN visa works in the U.S. MI since last Oct.2005 as an independent contractor. I live in windsor Ontario Canada and commute everyday across border to work at MI. My payor did not hold any tax from me, and he asked me to file a form 8233 because of the treaty benefit. I got 1042-S form my payor for about $9400 at year end. I am working on my form 1040NR but confused for a few things:

1. Do I get exemption for U.S tax or even MI state tax because of the treaty benefit ? And only need to pay Canada tax? How about if my income is more than $50k next year?
    2. What other form do I need to fill? 1040 schedule C or 1040-C?
    3. I figure out my income should go 1010NR line 22, is this right? And Line 23 and line 35 all go zero?
    4. If I have some work related expenses, like laptop and some tools, do I need to claim these expenses from U.S tax return or Canada tax return?

Thanks a lot!
    I really appreciate your answer.

YMY
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 08:11 AM
    VMY:

Sorry, but you need to consult with a tax professional who has experience with both Canadian and U.S. tax law.

I have no experience with the TN visa. Logically, it seems to me that you would file Form 1040NR with a Schedule C. You claim the work expenses on the Schedule C. You would pay the income tax (I do not think SE tax would apply to you), then claim the tax paid as a credit on your Canadian tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 visa, tax exempt? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I am a research scholar working in the US on J1 visa. I am from India. Am I required to pay income tax, etc. I am new here, and not sure whether one is exempt from taxes on J1 visa. I do not know about the tax treaty between India-US for research scholar on J1 visa. Could you please...

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Small Jobs Independent Contractor [ 2 Answers ]

In 2005, I worked primarily as an independent contractor, for several small companies and non-profits. Two of them were for over $600 and sent me 1099s, but three of them were under $600 jobs and didn't send me anything. Am I obligated to report these three? (I'm imagining the answer is yes, but I...

New independent contractor [ 2 Answers ]

I just took 2nd job--as independent contractor. I don't want to end up having to pay at end of tax year (2006) so can someone tell me what I need to do to pay taxes throughout year out of each check I receive so I don't end up having to pay at the end of the year next year?? I'd rather do it on...

View more questions Search