Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Is McCain a 'modern' conservative?
    McCain has acknowledged that modern conservatives have been more hostile to government than he. "Many contemporary conservatives have let their healthy skepticism about government sink into something unhealthy, an embittered loathing of the federal government," McCain and Salter wrote in "Worth the Fighting For." A good government "must not shrink from its duty to be the highest expression of the national will and the last bulwark against all assaults on our founding ideals," which include liberty and opportunity.
    Is it any wonder that the 'base' distrusts him?

The Curious Mind of John McCain
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 11:17 AM
    I guess it depends on how you define 'liberty', 'opportunity', and 'national will'.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Liberal to conservative, just like that! [ 33 Answers ]

It was years ago that I first heard this little story, and I just heard it re-told today, a little different of course, but the meaning still hit as hard as it did the first time I heard it. I just wonder what anyone's opinion of the story might be: A man was attending dinner at a friends...

Foragers of the modern day [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me at least 2 exapmles of a present day forager

McCain was for benchmarks before he was against them [ 3 Answers ]

I kid you not. McCain considers setting benchmarks for Iraqis | www.azstarnet.com ® Yesterday's attacks on Romney at the debate were disengenuos for 2 reasons. First ;because he completely misrepresented Romney's comments and because he publicly considered the option also.

At the present time does liberal vs. Conservative equate to Democrats vs. Republicans [ 29 Answers ]

In American politics? I don't believe so but... what do you think?:)

Just hang out and kiss? A conservative gets frustrated. [ 9 Answers ]

Hello all, I am experiencing a situation which makes me very frustrated. I have hanged out with this guy that I really like. We have a lot in common, profession, values, character traits and we really have fun talking to each other, plus the chemistry is really amazing. At first it seemed like...

View more questions Search