Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    babusri Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 08:08 AM
    On H1 Married and wife in india + filing tax returns...
    Hi,

I was in US - California from Oct 30 2005 to Dec 25 2005. For this period, I have W2 from my empoloyer. Now again back in US - Iowa in Feb 10, 2006 and will be here for another 6months. I am married, no children and my wife is in India and will be joining me only in May or June 2006. I got married in 2004 in India.

I have gone through the posts in this form... still I am not very clear... please help me...

This is my first W2 from from my employer and I will be filing returns first time.

As I am married and my wife is not working is it OK to select Married filing jointly ?

As I figured out now only, I need to apply for Extension form 4868. But in the Extension form also they are asking for SSN for wife ? Is it OK to ignore SSN for wife and submit the form ?

For my wife I need to apply W7 form... As my wife is in India can I get the W7 from signed from her and Attested by a Notary in India and can I apply that W7 form here in US ?

I think I need not to pay any taxes, I need to get some $$$ refund.

Thanks,
    Babu.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 07:50 AM
    Babu:

Yes, you can file jointly with your wife. Filing an extension (Form 4868) and waiting for your wife to join you seems to be the best option because mailing the W-7 and tax return back and forth to India will take too long.

Get on www.taxact.com and prepare the return with your wife (using a made-up SSN) to see if you owe taxes. If you owe taxes, write a check for the amount owed; put your SSN on the check and mail it with the Form 4868. If not, then just file the Form 4868. In either case, put the words "APPLIED FOR" where your wife's SSN/ITIN will go.

Apr 12, 2006, 08:18 AM
    Thanks Atlanta Tax Expert.
    Babu.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 15, 2006, 10:19 PM
    Glad to help!

Apr 16, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Hi ATE,

One more clarification required... During my stay in California in 2005, from Oct 30 to Dec 25th... my wife was not with me in California.. US... Is it OK to file jointly ?

Thanks,
    Babu.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2006, 10:32 AM
    Babu:

Yes, your wife can virtually anywhere in the world, and you will be able to file jointly.

Apr 16, 2006, 04:28 PM
    Hi ATE,

Thanks u very much again...

Babu.
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 16, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Glad to help again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes for married filing OPT(self), F1(wife) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a resident of India, I have been in the US from Aug 2004. My wife has been in the US since Aug 2005. I just finished my Masters and am working full time in OPT status. My wife is still in F1 status. Should my employer cut Social Security and Medicare taxes? We wanted to file in...

Filing Taxes for myself (H1) and my wife (h4) [ 1 Answers ]

In one of your previous replies you had said that for filing taxes with person with H1 and wife with H4. "Yes, she will need an ITIN. Download a W-7 from www.irs.gov, fill it out, have you wife sign it and attach a notarized copy of her passport to the W-7. Attach both to your joint tax return...

Wife on H4, need to file 3 state returns and 1 federal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello There, I am on H1B Work Visa since last 3.5 years now and have been filing tax return as single since last 3 years. I got married on Dec 29th 2005 in India and have marriage certificate from india. My spouse is a Malaysian Citizen born and brought up there. She came to USA on H4...

Filing returns for 2005 with my spouse [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1 visa since Feb 05. My wife joined me in April 05 on H4 visa. Currently I am using TaxCut to file my return and later along with my Fedral return I will be applying for my spouse W7. I have the following Queries: 1. Do you want to file a joint return with your spouse? Yes/No How...

Filing tax returns online [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of filing my taxes this year with taxact.com. Has anyone used them and any good or bad comments about them. Thanks, jrpr

View more questions Search