Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmrlook Posts: 134, Reputation: 8

Aug 1, 2008, 07:09 AM
    Connecting DSC power 1832 alarm to phone line
    Hello - I have a DSC power series 1832 alarm system that I want to connect to a central monitoring station. I have connected it to the phne line via a RJ31X telephone jack and cord set. I set up the system to monitor the phone line such that it should report an error when the phone line is no longer sensed. Sure enough, when I unplug the phone line from the alarm system, the alarm detects the situation and gives me an error message. The message goes away when I reconnect the line. As a further test, I set up the system to answer incoming calls after 3 rings (this is for remote programming). Like clockwork, after 3 rings, the phone goes dead which tells me the alarm system is able to disconnect the rest of the house from the phone line. What is strange is I don't hear it picking up the phone however. I am expecting to hear a series of beeps (like when calling a fax machine or modem) but don't hear anything but the phone continuing to ring. What should I hear? Finally, I told the alarm to call my cell phone to perform auto remote programming (of course I don't expect remote programming to work - I just wanted to see if the alarm could dial out) and my cell never rings. The alarm is doing something, because once again, the home phone goes dead, so I know the alarm is taking control of the land line. So, I am wondering if I may have the two wires from the land line into the alarm system reversed. Could this prevent it from dialing out?

Thanks,
    Rob
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 09:14 AM
    I don't know about this particular alarm.

An alarm system is usually not programmed by it dialing out, it's programmed by someone dialing in. You might say how? Make a call to the house. One way is to let it ring a few times and immediately call back. The alarm should answer with a tone if it works in this fashion.

Your's seems to operate more securely.

Your cell won't be able to call the alarm system normally. To test the cell, you'll need a phone numer of a fax machine or a modem.. If you don't have one, go to the nearest Staples and get their incoming fax number. Call it from the cell.

Bet your Cell dies as soon as it answers UNLESS it has CSD or Carrier Switched Data enabled.

I believe for your test to be valid, you would have to insert a triple modular adapter at the NID (Network Interface Device) outside, but you would have to have a high Z line monitor (Telephone test set) to check, because any extra phone will disturb the listen for dial tone.

The line going dead on the inside line would confirm that the alarm system is seizing the line although that doesn't make sense for programming. It doesn't mean it can't.

If your alarm answers after 3 rings and evidently it does, go to a neighbor's house, your office or a pay phone to check if you get the answer tone (single tone).

The alarm generally can't dial out unless programmed. Mabe yours can.

As for your last and final question; telephone polarity sometimes matters and sometimes does not. All your phones in your house could work and the alarm not because all your phones are polarity insensitive.

If you own a voltmeter, you can check. Do you?

Remember that modular phone cords are wired with a twist. They are not connected pin 1 to to pin1. Pin 1 connects to pin 6 etc. The cord itself swaps polarity.

The peculier problem of the cell not ringing does seem to be a problem. It could very well be a polariy issue.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Be sure you have dial tone(co line to red and green on RJ31X jack)gray and brown is premise(inside house phones). Wonder if you have them reversed.
    plug a regular phone in the 8 pin 31X jack to see if you have dial tone, Center 2 pins are CO line, and outer 2 pins are premise(of the 8 pins).

Like Kiss is saying, a telephone test set will let you to Monitor line to hear digits dialed, a digit grabber will confirm digits dialed.
    The line monitor will produce the trouble light if programmed to do so. If not monitored, it needs to be disabled to prevent the trouble light from lighting.
    Be sure Communication is Enabled. maybe location #380?
    I will dig up manual later, Lunch break. Good Luck take care.
    Also, If you only have a Meter. See if voltage drops to about 6-9 volts, from the 48 volts on hook, when it is suppose to be dialing.
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 03:49 PM
    Communication enabled is done location #380/option 1 ON.
    The manual is confusing about the phone connections, The bottom right 4 terminals should be:Red, Green, Gray, Brown(left to right)from 31X cord.
    Are you using the 5580 Telephone Interface and Automation Control board?
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2008, 06:29 AM
    Most monitoring companies will be GLAD to program for you to get monitoring account.
    Why not just have it call you and even be able to listen in? This is Free monitoring.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rewiring second phone line to connect to main line. [ 7 Answers ]

I have two separate phone lines in home.. main line and second line in bedroom #2. I am cancelling my second line number as I will be using DSL in that room where computer is at. Phone company said I could rewire jack in bedroom #2 to connect to main line and could do this myself, but need some...

Changing disconnected phone line to same number as phone line that is active [ 3 Answers ]

If you can help I will vote for you... for any office... state or government! We have two separate phone lines. One for one room and one for another. One of the lines was cut off at our request by the phone company. We want to make the disconnected line active again and work on the same number...

How do I eliminate/rewire my DSL/Fax line to home phone line? [ 1 Answers ]

Line 1 is a Verizon DSL/dedicated fax line in my office. Line 2 is my home phone. It would cost $95 for Verizon to come to my home for approx. 10 minutes or less to rewire the DSL/Fax so I can eliminate the extra (fax) line. Do I rewire through the NI box on the outside of my home? Any phone...

Wiring a 2nd phone line into a regular phone line? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. A long time ago, I had a phone jack installed in my room to be used for a 2nd phone line. Well, we shut off the 2nd phone line, so now I have a phone jack in my room that is basically out of order. I'm trying to turn it into a regular phone jack. This jack has never been a regular wired phone...

How to rewire and extra line to the main phone line at the demarc [ 1 Answers ]

I cannot afford to pay ATT 99.00 to rewire a non-working phone jack to the demarc. How is this done? The main phone line is working.

View more questions Search