Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Apr 11, 2006, 07:23 AM
    Window repair
    We have a large picture window in our living room with 2 plates of glass, yesterday when taking down the curtain poll, it fell and crashed into the window breaking out a hole in the inside glass, but it didn't go all the way through to the outside glass. How would one repair this, and would it be really pricy? :( Would we have to replace the entire window even though it just went through one of the plates of glass?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2006, 07:28 AM
    You need to replace the whole double paned window. Are the window frames metal or vinyl?

Most metal ones can be disassembled so that you can replace the glass itself. Some vinyl ones, though, cannot be. Look close to see if you can take it apart... and if you can post a picture of them, that would help even more.

Apr 11, 2006, 07:34 AM
    It's a woodframed window
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Without seeing it I can't be sure it it's a diy'er job or not.. or potentially expensive or not. Being wood with double paned glass I'm guessing it's "newer"... and with some, they can be easily disassembled so that you can replace just the glass portion.

I do know this: on most of our apartments we can easily disassemble the frame of the window to replace the glass portion: The largest size we use is 33"x49" and runs just $80.00.

What's the size of the glass? And do you know the brand and line of the window?

Apr 11, 2006, 12:31 PM
    RickJ here is a picture of a similar type of window, only the center of our picture window is much larger... and someone told me it could be a thermal pained window...
    Attached Images

Apr 11, 2006, 12:32 PM
    It's our apartment that we are moving out of so I don't know the brand of the window
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2006, 01:21 PM
    Holy smoke:eek: , my avatar is bigger than that pic :p :p

It's so small I just cannot tell how easy the job would be to replace that glass.

So you're asking to see what the landlord will ding you for?

I am 95% sure that glass can be replaced. If the landlord says it cannot be, have him show you exactly why.

Assuming it can be replaced, I guestimate about $7.50 per sq ft for the double paned glass (so about $120 if that window is 4'x4') plus 1-2 hours labor (we charge $25 per hour labor for tenant caused damages).

... so a couple hundred bucks is my educated guess (assuming an honest and fair landlord).

Apr 11, 2006, 01:46 PM
    Thanks, oh, and sorry about the picture being so small :) I couldn't find a better example and I don't have my digital camera charged up right now to take a picture of it. I appreciate your help though. Hopefully my landlord will be as understanding as you are. We are buying our first house and don't need any delays.

Apr 11, 2006, 01:47 PM
    Oh by the way, what is an avator?
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2006, 01:57 PM
    I was speaking of the little images we have, like your Drew Barrymore.

Apr 11, 2006, 01:59 PM
    Oh, OK. Cgirl<Duh! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Opening to a New Window [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I don't know if there's a way to do this, but I am trying to write an E-mail with a "link" on it. That link obviously leads to another webpage, and what I would like to happen is to manipulate that webpage's appearance; taking out the address bar, menu bar, tool bar, scrollbar, and...

Window shutters [ 4 Answers ]

How do I make shutters for my windows

Car repair [ 1 Answers ]

Car repair I have a Mercury Sable LS 2000 The lights on the Dash Board that display the gear you are in are not working I was told that I need to change a modal any ideas

View more questions Search