Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Jul 31, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Christian Scientists?
    Not sure if this should go in the Christianity section but here it goes:

On a bike ride a few months ago I passed a Christian Scientist church. I knew it was there because I grew up in the town it is in. But I never knew what they studied. So being the nosy person I am I took a free magazine thing and read it later. Being a born-again Christian, I read this magazine trying to see if they believe what I believed. From what I read they pretty much did, but I kept seeing them talk about a book "Christian Science and Medicine" or something like that. They quoted that more than the Bible. I found that odd. So I went to the website the provided and read how the practice of Christian Science began and the basics of what the believe. I know that they rather pray then take medicine but is there anything else? I'm actually quite interested in this. So could someone give me a detailed summary of what they believe? Or if you are one that would be even better.

A few other questions:

Do they believe in

The Trinity?

That Jesus the Son of God?

And:

If you had a life-threating illness would you want medical attention or would you opt to pray?

Thanks in advance!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 10:56 PM
    Trinity. Christian Science clearly repudiates the Trinitarian Godhead

Jesus Christ. Christian Science denies that the incarnation of Christ was the fullness of deity dwelling in human flesh, denies the perfection of the man Jesus, and attempts to explain away the historical death and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ (Science and Health, pp. 336, 29, 332, 53, 398, 313, 593; Miscellaneous Writings, p. 201)

Christian Science teaches that the death of Jesus Christ for sin was a "man-made" theory, and that Jesus was alive in the tomb, demonstrating the "power of Spirit to overrule mortal, material sense" (Science and Health, p. 44)

The Resurrection. It is obvious that if Jesus never physically died on the cross to atone for sins that mankind cannot commit (Science and Health, pp. 45-46), then the resurrection must also have a unique meaning in Christian Science. Eddy explains, "When Jesus reproduced his body after its burial, he revealed the myth or material falsity of evil; its powerlessness to destroy good and the omnipotence of the Mind that knows this: he also showed forth the error of nothingness of supposed life in matter, and the great somethingness of the good we possess, which is of Spirit, and immortal" (Miscellaneous Writings, p. 201). Jesus resurrection was thus the manifestation of the error of evil. He demonstrated that sin and death are illusions and that if one wishes to rid themselves of these illusions, they only need to deny their reality.

Sin. Christian Science denies the existence of all matter, including man's physical body. They say that man is "incapable of sin, sickness, and death." They claim sin, sickness, and death are the "effects of error," thereby denying the reality of sin. [HJB] Bottom line, to Christian Science, there is no sin (Science and Health, p. 447)

Salvation. Since Christian Scientists do not believe that sin is real, they, therefore, see no need for salvation in Jesus Christ. Notwithstanding, Christian Scientists still teach a salvation based on works -- and contrary to even their own teachings, a salvation through victory over suffering and temptation. [HJB]

Hell. Christian Science denies the existence of hell and eternal punishment, and, therefore, there is no devil (Science and Health, p. 469). Hell is defined as "mortal belief; error; lust; remorse; hatred; revenge; sin; sickness; death." They believe that hell is a self-imposed "mental anguish," emanating from the guilt of one's imagined sin. [HJB]

Disease and Death. Christian Scientists claim that since organic disease does not exist, "the cause of all so-called disease is mental" [i.e. 'the belief in sin is thereby the cause of it'], "a mistaken belief" (Science and Health, p. 377). They say that since our physical bodies do not exist, disease and death are only illusions (Science and Health, pp. 348,386). [To the contrary, the Bible teaches that sin, sickness, and evil are not an illusion, but a result of man's willful choice to rebel against a Holy God, and death (both physical and the spiritual eternal separation from God) is the result of sin (Rom. 3:10, 23; 5:12-14; 1 John 1:8-10)
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 02:55 PM
    My ex-husband was a Christian Scientist from the old school. When I went to church with him occasionally, there was a saying to the right of the pulpit... God is Love... Mother Father God... I can't remember exactly.

Christian Science has no clergy... they have readers who read from the Bible and Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures and practitioners(healers). They have music, usually a soloist during the service. For every church there is a reading room in town which carries Christian Science literature, Bibles, testimonials of healing, the Christian Science Monitor a well-respected newspaper(if it is still in print). Last I read, Christian Science is a religion that is on its way out due to falling membership.

Illness and death and sin don't exist, they can be overcome by Divine Mind which is eternal. Divine Mind is like total accumulated consciousness, of which, each human being is part. (I think I remember correctly, it's been a while since I studied CS) Scientists are raised and encouraged to live a life we would call by Positive Thinking... they are not negative folks!

It is not much like any traditional Christianity. Females are primary in Christian Science.

I want to add that Scientists are not to be ruled by emotionality but are to be calm and thoughtful.
    fallen2grace Posts: 199, Reputation: 4

Aug 1, 2008, 03:47 PM
    Wow. I had no idea that they didn't believe in all that stuff.
    Thanks for the info. =)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 04:57 AM
    Yes, I would agree that Christian Scientists are neither Christian nor scientists. They basically are neither. So, to use the two terms in a title would seem to be a contradiction as to what they might want to call themselves.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2008, 12:20 PM
    At the time Christian Science was founded in the 19th Century, Mary Baker Eddy incorporated "scientific talk and discoveries" that were common *at that time*. It wasn't like other Christian denominations which are and were stuck in the past.

There was a lot of talk about mesmerizing(hypnotism) during this period(Christian Science has a lot in common with self-hypnotism and positive thinking); Christian Science called being overly emotional "chemicalizing", their newspaper The Christian Science Monitor was a well-respected newspaper based on rationality and research.

Christian Scientists were prosperous folks in their communities... probably because of their positive outlook compared to other Christian denominations, I would think. God is Love and denial of devils and evil. That love could conquer all, and they worked at loving their children and each other... and WOMEN were in the place of honor as Mother God. :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2008, 12:58 PM
    I will remind everyone this is not a discussion board, even if we don't believe in ones faith we do not attack their belief. There belief in the science of the bible is their faith and belief, not someone to be made fun of or offend those of that faith.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2008, 02:36 PM
    I do apologize for my remark, Fr_Chuck! It was late and I was not thinking correctly. After having worked in so many different denominations as an employee, I was always respectful as to what they believed, even though I might not have held the same beliefs that they did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scientists in History [ 5 Answers ]

I came across this article and wondered... http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,2248969,00.html http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Arab_scientists http://www.al-bab.com/arab/science.htm Are these scientists known by students of science,in school or in university texts? If...

Famous scientists [ 4 Answers ]

Who are the most famous scientists of all time?

Rocket Scientists have Humor? [ 3 Answers ]

This image shows one of the mounts ontop of a customised Boing-747 used to transport space shuttles from landing sites back to Kennedy Space center. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Shuttle_mounting_point.JPG

View more questions Search