Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cherrypie_211 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Tape left on too long.peeled away the paint!
    I waited 24 hours to peel away the blue tape from the walls and of course the paint peeled off with it! It peeled off in rubbery chunks. Now I have gaps of missing paint on the walls. How do I fix this?
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jul 31, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Was it acrylic or oil-based, flat or glossy?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 03:21 AM
    Well, you have 20/20 hindsight now.

When it started to happen, you should have broke the paint edge with a razor blade.

Your going to have to wait for it to thouoghly dry. It might take a week, so that it's sandable without peeling.

I'd use Redipatch, a premixed drywall patching cmpound available at Home Depot. Fill in the unleveled areas. Wait until it drys. ABout 3 hours usually. Sand smooth and re-paint.
    cherrypie_211 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2008, 04:59 PM
    It was 100% acrylic latex (Behr paint from Home Depot). Thanks for the responses! I've learned my lesson now... the HARD way!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 06:43 PM
    That's interesting, because when I paint, I don't even mask the walls when it has fresh paint. Use an edge pad and paint he ceiling. If it gets on walls wipe with wet rag.

Then mask the old walls and paint the window trim.

Mask floor and paint the baseboard trim. Wipe with wet rag if it gets on anything it's not supposed to.

Mask the possibly wet baseboard and the window trim. Then paint walls again using an edge pad for the corners and near the ceiling and baseboard.

It seems much easier and faster than painting the trim last.
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Aug 1, 2008, 06:48 PM
    Keep It is right. At least a week, then sand edges. If you use drywall patch, you still have to sand. Either way, I suggest sanding sponges instead of paper (one of advantages is they're 'cleanable'). And when you repaint, you might want to consider a straight-edge instead of tape <G>
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2008, 01:53 AM
    Waiting until it dries thoroughly is good! I'm not sure how good that you want the wall to look. If you want it too look perfect, then you use the type of patching compound that has already been recommended or even a very light spackling compound.

I try never to use the blue tape because the paint will tend to "bleed" through the crinkles in it. Instead, I like to use the kinds of tape that are perfectly flat with no crinkles.

When painting alongside of masking tape of any kind, it's best to be going very lightly in the same direction that the length of the tape is laid. Also, for touch-up, you might want to get some very small artist's brushes for that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Paint Roller left FUZZ on the wall and now it dried [ 2 Answers ]

So I have a very expensive high quality roller and it left a LOT of fuzz on the wall.. unfortunately I didn't see it until after the paint dried. What can I do? I was thinking of just going over it with a very thick primer and then repainting.. will this work? I learned after the fact how...

Tape on new paint [ 4 Answers ]

I am painting a room with 2 colors. How long do I need to wait for the first color to dry before I can put painters tape on it and avoid peeling?

Tape Lines(?) showing after ceiling paint job [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home that is 5 months old. The builder was in both yesterday and today repairing nail pops etc and repainting the ceiling. Everything looked great until I looked up and saw an straight bubble like line running across the width of my hallway. It wasn't there before. It would appear to be...

Paint peeling from painters tape in new condo? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I purchased a condo in 2004 and was told it was painted with Benjamin Moore paint. Recently I decided to liven it up a bit, and so started replacing the "linen" with other more vibrant colors. When I did the downstairs bathroom, I had some issues when using the blue (Scotch 3M) painters...

View more questions Search