Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Moving my 9 year old
    My husband, daughter (she's 9) and myself have been living with my parents for aboout a year. It was never the ideal situation. It has been hard to say the least. My dad and I have big personalities and rub each other the wrong way and he is an alcoholic who won't admit his problem.

So, to make a long story short, everything has just blown up and now we need to leave. My mom keeps saying that they are not asking us to leave, but they sure the heck are not trying to stop us. That's fine. We need to move on. What I am concerned about is my daughter. She has finally made some friends in the neighborhood and now I'm going to have to move her to an apartment (there don't seem to be any girls her age). I know. Not the end of the world. What I'm concerned about is how sad and upset she has become. I think she kind of understands what's going on. Maybe not the details, but I know she picks up on the stress and unhappiness. I'm wondering if I should try to explain things to her a little more clearly? I was also thimking that maybe an art class or an activity might help, but I don't want to overwhelm her and throw her in with even more new people.

Any suggestions??
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Tell her the pro's that now you will have your new place and things will be easier in ways.
    Try and take her to visit her friends or maybe let her have a friend or two over for the weekend sometimes. Unless you are moving pretty far away she shouldn't have to lose her friends completely. Also try taking her places a 9 yr old would enjoy and maybe next summer get her enrolled in some activities. If there is something now that wouldn't feel like rush and jammed in the schedule maybe see how she feels about going.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual status filing for F-1 moving to H-1 if F-1 is in 6th year? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My situation is as follows: I am a Belgian citizen and came to the US on an F-1 visa in Aug, 2003. I filed tax form 1040NR for 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007. Since Aug 2007 I have been working, on F-1 with OPT, and will continue to do so until Oct 2008 when I change to H-1B status. ...

Moving Expenses for Previous Year [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'm from India working in US on H1 B visa. My wife moved from India to US as dependent in 2005. I recently found that I could have deducted my wife's travel expenses under moving during my federal tax filing. I'd like to know if there is any chance to file an...

Moving on but moving backwards. [ 3 Answers ]

Its been over a year since me an my man split. We were together for 7 1/2 years. I don't know where we went wrong. I remember one day waking up beside him and him showing me a ring asking me to spend the rest of my life with him an that's when everything changed. We were engaged for only 3 months...

Full year resident alien part year treaty [ 1 Answers ]

My country has a tax treaty with US. I came on J1 visa in September 2005 and got the benefit of the tax treaty till August 2007. And since September 2007 my taxes are being with held. I am considered as full year resident alien since Januarary 2007. Which tax form I need to fill up and where to...

6-year Indian Student, 1040EZ but claiming social security taxes from 5th year. [ 3 Answers ]

I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and all at the same university in NYC. This will be my first year filing the 1040EZ, and I have a few Q's... Four questions: * Is the 1040EZ form the...

View more questions Search