Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Jul 31, 2008, 02:20 PM
    Batman The Dark Knight; Why did Batman choose.
    OK,

Warning: If you have not seen Batman The Dark Knight, then do not read this post!

I need some clarification: Batman had a choice of either saving the District Attorney or the woman; why did he save the DA?

My guess is that he was "set-up/tricked" by someone (the mayor?) to save the DA.

But I am not sure and that is why I am asking.

Thank you in advance to all of AMHD responders who will reply. You guys/gals are awesome!

Peace.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 02:26 PM
    I thought that he was tricked - didn't the Joker give him the wrong address? I've seen it twice and thought both times that he gave Batman the wrong address, knowing that he would go after Rachel... Maybe I'm just plumb nuts though...

Because in the end, the Joker said that he had to corrupt Harvey Dent... I think he knew that Batman would choose Rachel, but wanted him to save Harvey...

Jul 31, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick
    I thought that he was tricked - didn't the Joker give him the wrong address? I've seen it twice and thought both times that he gave Batman the wrong address, knowing that he would go after Rachel.... Maybe I"m just plumb nuts though...

Because in the end, the Joker said that he had to corrupt Harvey Dent... I think he knew that Batman would choose Rachel, but wanted him to save Harvey...
    Ah, so Batman was convinced he was going to the address where Rachel was being held but instead found the DA.

That makes sense to me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 02:33 PM
    That's what I thought... I may be wrong.. but I thought that's what happened.
    jessb Posts: 290, Reputation: 51

Aug 2, 2008, 03:42 AM
    I thought because batman said that harvey was supposed to be the answer... the face or voice of reason for the city.. that type of thing.. so there wouldn't have to be a batman or sumtin...
    From what I remember batman knew he was going for harvey... but I only saw it once, and it was opening night and it was hot and packed in the theater..
    But batman kept stating that harvey was the answer or sumtin like that

Aug 2, 2008, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jessb
    i thought because batman said that harvey was supposed to be the answer... the face or voice of reason for the city.. that type of thing.. so there wouldnt have to be a batman or sumtin...
    from what i remember batman knew he was going for harvey... but i only saw it once, and it was opening night and it was hot and packed in the theater..
    but batman kept stating that harvey was the answer or sumtin like that
    Hmmm... I hope others weigh in too.
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Aug 2, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Well I think the joker tricked him to go save harvey, mainly bcuase when they told the police to go save harvy they showed up at rachels.
    But I would really like to know if my guessing is true or not also hahaha

Aug 2, 2008, 02:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodium
    well i think the joker tricked him to go save harvey, mainly bcuase when they told the police to go save harvy they showed up at rachels.
    but i would really like to know if my guessing is true or not also hahaha
    Yeah, I'm beginning to think that Batman was tricked by the Joker. This seems to make the most sense so far.

Anyone out there seen this movie more than twice?
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2008, 07:46 AM
    Hey! I have only seen it twice, but I believe that he was tricked as well. The joker told him where each one was and he said he was going after Rachel. The first time I saw it I thought he might have changed his mind and thought he could save both so he went after the DA first. Then the second time I realized that he must have tricked Batman so he would save The DA so his plan would work out! Hope this helps!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2008, 07:51 AM
    I don't get where you people are getting this from.

He chose the DA because he felt the DA had a chance to clean up the city. It was a greater good choice!
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Sep 10, 2008, 08:08 AM
    I'm with ScottGem on this one;

Batman wants to be the way Harvey Dent is, and understands how important he is to the city of Gotham. He realises that Dent's way of fighting crime, through law, and without a mask, is the way to save the city. He realises this, and so does the Joker. Hence why he ties them both up at opposite ends of Gotham. If this struggle wouldn't have been so apparent then Batman would have had no real decision to make and would have saved Rachel in a heartbeat.

But the internal struggle is there, and his conscience wins over. That's why he saves Harvey Dent, and that's why he takes the blame for everything at the end of the film!
    giani513 Posts: 179, Reputation: 47

Sep 11, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Even though I want to see it again because I saw it opening night, I have to agree with Scottgem. I feel that the Joker knew Batman would make the decision of doing what's best for Gotham City than for himself. The Joker's "mission" was to create chaos. He wanted to hurt Batman by making him choose the city over his love. Batman will always choose the greater good because that is why he exists, so no other person will have to feel the way he did when he saw his parents get killed.

Sep 11, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Comments on this postadam_89 disagrees: I dissagree because he loved Rachel and wanted to be with her. He said he was going after her!

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

You can disagree with me, but not using the comments feature since this you are disagreeing with an opinion. Though there is a lot more factual evidence to back me and Hunter up.
    randomwcuman Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Definitely tricked the Joker told him where they were but they wre in opposite locations. He knew batman would go after the girl and he ended up saving the DA instead
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 10:01 AM
    The reason he went to the wrong warehouse was he tricked into it .But the bigger question is ;would Batman fall into such a trick ? Batman is a bit of a detective as well as a kick the a** of the bad guys with lots of cool toys . Throughout the movie he was constantly out maneuvered by the Joker .Even in the climatic scene a more realistic outcome would've been both ferries exploding . Batman had no play in the outcome either way .
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by randomwcuman
    definately tricked the Joker told him where they were but they wre in opposite locations. He knew batman would go after the girl and he ended up saving the DA instead
    That's how I remember it. (although now it's been awhile since I saw it) The joker said Rachel was at location A and Harvey was at location B. Batman set out for location A, but when he got there he found Harvey instead of Rachel.
    randomwcuman Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Sep 11, 2008, 10:13 AM
    Yea batman looked incredibly disapointed when he found harvey and also if I'm not mistaken Gordon said something about "going after harvey" when batman made his choice. Also batman was pissed so this may have made him make an irrational decision.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Scott I think his "greater good " choice was taking the fall for Harvey Dent's murders.
    Ultra Member

Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Maybe its because I'm a woman, but I saw the emotional upheaval in Batman at the moment he realized that he had rescued Harvey rather than Rachel. He "is" (as much as Hollywood "is" real) a man, submissive to passions and emotions, just the same as anyone else. I think we tend to forget that Batman is Bruce Wayne - the man in love with Rachel.

I'm not saying that I'm correct in my assumption that he was tricked into saving Harvey rather than Rachel, but at the moment of realization that one of them WILL die, he chose Rachel.

:) That's what I think, boys! Don't hate me for it! :)

Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Just goes to show how different people see what they want to see. The Joker couldn't care less who Batman saved. Either way he wins, because whichever dies is still going to fill Batman with angst. So there was no trickery.

Batman went for Dent because that was the Greater Good. The Batman in these two versions is conflicted about being a vigilante. He wants to stop being Batman. So saving Dent is more logical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

40's batman type character. [ 1 Answers ]

I saw a program long ago about superheroes movies of a batman looking costumed character who fought mad scientist those sorts of badguys it was black and white maybe from the late 30's or early 40's... I think he had a cape or not and the ears of his cowl leaned over..? any ideas..

Batman The Dark Knight [ 53 Answers ]

Holy... mother... of... Just got back from the midnight viewing... Just my $0.02... the most anticipated movie of the year, and often voted the best movie of the year... and I don't disagree. EVERYTHING about this movie kicked left butt. E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G.!

Where is the knight of my heart? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it my fault that everybody consider me as a good friend no matter what or worse they are not in relationship mood? I try so much to find the one (I'm not obsessed) but I cannot. I know that the more we're after something then it doesn't come. All I want is someone to make me feel loved. Where is...

View more questions Search