Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lawngnomez Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Am I infected?
    A few days ago I accidentally (yes, it actually was accidental) downloaded a strange file. I almost immediately found the file on my desktop and deleted it. Then I ran a full sweep with Spysweeper, and it turned up the normal stuff.
    The next day, my dad wanted to change a security password of some sort on my D-Link adapter. Before he did, he attempted to access Internet Explorer (even though we all use firefox). As we were locked out until he put the new password into my computer, it didn't show the page. But the URL, I saw, was for some kind of virus protection download. There was even a message telling us that we were infected, but this may or may not have all been phony stuff. After the new password was in, I got into Firefox without a problem.
    Today, I found some weird word files in my documents (they looked faded and their titles were the same as some that I had made, but these also had symbols that I don't think you can put in titles) and risked opening one. First, it a small window told me this "type" of file could not be opened without a converter that needed to be downloaded. I clicked the little no thanks button, and I saw the "unconverted" file: some weird word and a bunch of squares. Then, Firefox opened up, saying I was infected and wanting me to download some stuff. But then there was a phishing alert in the corner. This was the first time I had ever seen this, even though I had been to sites like the one I had just seen before. I closed it and deleted the strange word files.

So here are my questions:
    Does it look like a virus of some sort,
    And if I do
    Is there any way to get rid of it, or do I have to reformat the entire computer
    Can it spread through network magic to the other computers connected to it
    Why didn't spysweeper pick it up?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 2, 2008, 03:13 AM
    The Word files may have been ones Word creates as temporary files while you're working on a document that didn't get cleaned up. The faded part sounds like the way hidden files are rendered when you've enabled viewing of hidden files.

The popups telling you to download things sounds like one of the typical symptoms of a spyware/adware infection. You may need to scan with a full antivirus product and multiple spyware products for it to be detected. No single product is 100% effective. Spreading may be possible depending on what it is. Just unhook the computer's network cable until you've confirmed the computer is clean or unhook the other computers if you need to download something. A reformat isn't necessary to remove an infection, however depending on the particular infection, it may be less time consuming and certainly effective.

Manual removal can be a challenge. Why don't you start first with automated tools before attempting a reformat. These boards are filled with posts from people who never get their computer quite right again after attempting a complete rebuild. These sticky posts discuss products for elimination/detection and techniques for preventing infection:
    Must Have/Useful Programs
    After the Storm (The virus is gone)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does the belly piercing necessarily need to look infected to be infected? [ 9 Answers ]

Does it? Mine doesn't hurt and people say it doesn't look infected at all. But I'm scared help

Percing infected! [ 12 Answers ]

hi my name is anna and i had my belly button pierced but it got infected.! i was wondering... :confused: when its of and it closes... is it still infected? Do i need 2 see a doctor? My friend told me that i have a ring worm in there and if i don't take it out i will become bigger..! :eek:

Is it infected? [ 3 Answers ]

I got my industral done last week. Since about the day after my top hole has been shotting out gunky green stuff... Is it infected?

My PC is infected [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, My CPU usage is 100% and has Trojan-Spy.Zbot. Any specifics on this would be highly appreicated. Thanks VK Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2 Scan saved at 11:08:46 AM, on 4/5/2008

Is it infected? [ 7 Answers ]

I got my belly button pierced about a week ago. It is red around the top bead. It is not bleeding and there isn't any puss coming out. Is it starting to get infected or is it just healing?

View more questions Search