Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwilkers1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 06:35 PM
    Mower won't start
    I have a Bolens 4.5 mower probably less than 2 yrs old. I've checked the fire from the coil and I have consistent fire, I can hear the compression. I just need to know how I inspect this carb to see if it needs rebuilding. Also where would I get the rebuild kit. Any help would be appreciated as the wife is ready for me to mow the yard.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2006, 06:44 PM
    Brand of engine? Briggs maybe? if so what's the name of the engine? Little carb mounted to a little tank? Was it stored with freshly treated gas (stabilizer) ? OR no?

If this is a briggs sprint or like that of the sorts, this has a diaragm style carb, this is basically all you replace when you rebuild them, tank the tank off with the carb (better to have the shroud off though), there's two bolts holding the tank on, and one bolt at the front that supports it, and one around the breather tube to the carb... be careful with the carb, its plastic (and no its not a new design, makes them cheaper to build and replace, they do just as well as metal carbs) grab a can of carb cleaner, put the straw on the can, spray out the carb good, and holes you see, and make sure the pickup tubes are clean and clear at the bottom, it has a mesh screen on it. Have your new diapragm and gasket handy (comes together, and is around 2 or 3 bucks) make sure to get the gasket right now! tighten the carb back down tight to the tank, and put it back on... now if the gas is rancid, replace it and make sure to rinse the tank out with a little fresh gas and dump before you put the carb on.
    jwilkers1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 06:17 PM
    Thanks I went to a local guy and got a diaphram and gasket I'll post later to let you know how things worked out

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mtd mower won't start [ 10 Answers ]

I just bought a used riding lawn mower. It had started fine each time I went to look at it. Looks like it was been treated well although quite dusty. I was told that it was used very little in the last few years. It is a MTD 16.5hp riding mower. So I brought it home today and mowed the front...

Mtd yardman 16.5hp mower will not start [ 41 Answers ]

I just brought home a used, but in very good shape, MTD yardman mower. It has the 16.5 hp Briggs mower with the 7-speed shift on the go tranny. It also is the industrial/commercial model. For some reason, the thing will not crank. The engine will spin and gas will go to the carb, but it acts...

MTD Mower Won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 42" MTD Lawn Tractor, I think it is a model 682. I try to start it and nothing, I just ran it last week and it was fine. Could the battery have died that quickly? What should I replace/check? Could the ignition switch have corroded and died? Is there a way to bypass it and check? I'm...

Mower won't start. [ 9 Answers ]

All, I was working on the wiring on my mower, because a white wire was disconnected. It smoked from the flywheel area. I thought it was the coil, replaced that. It still doesn't start. It will turn over continually no problem. Just doesn't fire up. Could it be a switch, wiring, any ideas? ...

MTD 18 HP riding mower won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Have a 18 Hp MTD mower which won't start. Does not get gas, tank full, new gas filter, and new spark plugs. Has two kill switches on it.

View more questions Search