Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff2270 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 10:55 AM
    I have 2 felony convictions in NY
    I have 2 felony convictions in NY. I am trying to find out if the felony convictions will ban me from any jobs other than law enforcement. Please help
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Some companies now a days have applications that include a cute little box that you can check if you've been convicted of a felony within 5, 7 or 10 years or ever. Isn't that nice of them? It's harder to find good employment, but there are companies out there who do hire felons. You can skip banks or accounting jobs or being a clerk handling money. Also some factory jobs don't hire felons either.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 11:18 AM
    Hello jeff:

If banned, you mean a law or a policy that prevents you from pursuing a particular field of employment, then there are a few others. I couldn't list them all, but suffice to say that any job that requires a license will probably stop you. That includes taxi drivers, mortgage loan officers, CPA's, doctors and lawyers.

Outside of that, Twink is right in that many companies just won't hire felons no matter what. They have that right.

However, rather than ask what jobs you CAN'T get, why don't you focus on the jobs you CAN get. Get GOOD at something, if you're not already. Salesmen, mechanics, welders, machine operators and more ARE jobs you can get.

Here's the trick, if there is one. You don't look good on paper. Most times they'll just throw the application or resume in the trash... So, you're going to have to get passed that. Many mom and pop shops don't have a hiring process. In those kids of places, you can interview with the boss right then and there. If you talk better than look on paper, THAT'S a job you can get.

Remember, the guy hiring you ISN'T a social agency. He's not there to HELP you. He's there to HELP himself. If you can convince him that you can help HIM, then you have a shot. Those are the places I'd be looking for a job if I was you... Hey, wait a minute. I AM you.

excon
    destini1980 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    To inquire about what an excon can get, as far as employment, is really on point.
    puttingitout Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
    Convicted in 2004 agg assult/ also theft on my jacket and its stained won't come off at least not yet. I have been trained on interviews handed company gas cards and almost ready to start to be told minutes later to get out. I graduated school as a low volt tech HUGE MISTAKE (get a skill, learn a skill) because nobody wants me or you in there home and no company wants to A. pay more in insurance to have to hire you B. take the risk of a bad company name C. or right back to A pay more...
    What I will say is that since I've been home I've done A lot I have lots of paperwork to prove I am a reformed, rehabilitated citizen Ive even gone into schools, rehabs, juvenile detentions to speak to children publicly about the effects of poor decision making , with all this being said I HAVE NEVER GOTTEN A JOB BEING HONEST, and that's the reality (Im lying I had a job once at IHOP making 200/wkly as a waitress) there's jobs that ask the question on the app but won't run your name and you can honestly tell which ones will and which ones won't. Don't look the part and talk the part of a felon dress nice talk nicer. I've had a lot of driving jobs, I've had a job as a leasing manger, and I'm getting ready to start a factory job as a machine operator. The further away you are from your felony the better mine is 8 years old and I left it back there a lot of background checks are 7 years and earlier remembera job is a job,\ if it gets the bills paid, take any job for now get any experience for now and build yourself up from the ground because that's were our choices put us NOT the employer BUILD YOURSELF BACK UP

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reguarding; Felony Convictions [ 4 Answers ]

Can you join any military branch if you have a felony conviction?????:confused:

Can I move to the uk with felony convictions [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married to a german national, and she wants me to move there with here. I have no parole. Would us being married determine the decision?

Can I be an officer in the navy with convictions [ 2 Answers ]

Will a pardon and a exspongement of distribution and manufactoring (3rd degree) be able to allow me to go into the navy and become a lue... is there any loop holes I can go through so I can accomplish this

Military Convictions Expunged? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was convicted at his General Court-Martial of assult by battery, conspiracy with 3 unidentified co-conspiritors and fraternization. He was reduced from E5 to E1, lost all pay and allowances, is serving the first month of his one year and one day sentence and will be receiving a Bad...

View more questions Search