Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    obelixs2 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 05:30 PM
    H-1B and W-2 Questions
    Hi,

I was under H-1B for the whole of 2005, and I have completed 1040-EZ. I took the standard $8200 deduction ($5000 plus $3200), and it turns out that I owe about $900. My company handled all the papers and forms for the H-1B in late 2004, and I am just concerned, since I am assuming that it is not normal to be owing so much in unpaid taxes. From my W-2, I have calculated that 13.5% of my wages (box 1) was taken as federal income tax (box 2). Is this less than normal? My wages are about $55,000.

From my W-2, I can see that my W-2 wages were calculated by:
    (gross wage) - (health insurance costs) - (life insurance costs)
    Should the gross wage include my annual bonus? If I got a raise in April 2005, should the gross wage be pro-rated to reflect the two different wages that I received for different parts of the year?

Thanks in advance for your help. I have been using this forum to complete my taxes for the last few years when I was under F-1. This is my first time completing my taxes under H-1B, but my case is very simple, as I am from South Korea and do not have any property or investments in the U.S. Thanks again.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 05:47 PM
    I can't answer this question without seeing your complete return (there might be something else gone wrong) and your W2. I would advise seeking some professional help if you think you got your taxes wrong. But it might be as well that you just owe some income tax. It's not uncommon :)

But your bonus needs to be included in taxable income and your W2 does not have to do anything special about the raise.

Vaya

Apr 11, 2006, 07:38 AM
    Thanks for the response. I think I may have just underpaid. I have a question regarding my paystubs. On the top, it says:

Status
    FED: Single
    ST1: Single

Exempt
    FED: 03
    ST1: 02

Does anyone know what the numbers for "exempt" mean? I am single with no dependents. I have a feeling that those 03 and 02 selections might be wrong, which is why I ended up underpaying. Thanks again.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 07:42 AM
    ObelixS2:

Claiming "03" exemptions on your W-4 is the reason why you paid $900. The W-4 is filled out to tell your employer how much income tax to withhold from your pay.

BTW, you want to end up paying when you file your tax return, just as long as it is not more than $1,000.

The reason is simple: ANY refund is an interest-free loan to the government. It is better money management to keep your money as long as you can, then write a check and mail the return on 15 April of the following year.

Apr 12, 2006, 08:24 AM
    Thanks Atlanta Tax Expert. Yes, it makes sense that owing money on your tax returns is better money management, although my case was unintentional. I am thinking of telling my employer about the issue and having my exemptions reduced, as I was very close to the $1000 this year and do not want to face penalties next year. Thanks again.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 09:55 AM
    Good idea; go to "2" exemption for the federal W-4 and you will be okay.
    MaxMor Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2019, 08:48 PM
    Great Not necessary to give him anything but proper humidity, temperature and exo at this point. I hope he makes it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are You Pregnant Or Think You Are? Have Questions? Post New Questions Here.. [ 21 Answers ]

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you think you might be pregnant, or are pregnant, post your questions here, as the other thread is getting so large that it's hard to keep them organized. Also, if you are a teen and have questions and/or fears, let us know and we'll help as best as we can, or find...

F1-OPT-H1B tax questions [ 1 Answers ]

I have been reading various threads on this forum to get an answer to my questions. I am hoping that I can get the best advice/answers from all the experts (especially, ATE), who are well informed by now. I had been on F1 from May 17, 1998 -- Aug 31, 2005. Switched to OPT on Sep 1, 2005 Went...

Various questions [ 1 Answers ]

1- if you watch a clock on a train that goes past you at a constant speed v, how do you see it turnning? 2- which of the following forces it is possible to shield against? a- electromagnetism b-gravity c-a and b d-just magnetism e-just the electrostatic force 3- the earth...

View more questions Search