Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JmB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Tax Return NY State J1 to H1B. Resident or not?
    In 2005 I worked for the same company.

As an intern (J1) from January 1st 2005 to June the 15th
    As an Employee (H1B) from November 6th to December 31st 2005

I was back in France between September 9th to November 6th to get my H1B Visa.

Should I file my tax as a resident or an Non resident?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2006, 08:51 AM
    File as a non-resident alien for 2005, filing Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file New York State Tax Return as Non Resident ? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking for some advice about my state tax return. Thank you in advance for whoever can provide some guidance. I'm a french citizen and arrived in New York under a J-1 visa in July 2004. I filed as non resident for my 2004 tax return. In October 2005, I obtained the H1-B status....

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

Va state return [ 1 Answers ]

I am wondering why on my W-2 form the VA I.D. tax number of my company have more digits than my other W-2 form? Do I have to skip the letter in the I.d tax number and put in the software only the digits? I want to e-file but I can not do than because I have to skip the LETTER in the id.tax number...

NJ resident filing NY IT-203 non-resident return [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I know its crunch time for tax filing so any advice I will greatly appreciate! This is my first time filing and I am confused. I thought to file on my own because it would not be complicated. I am a NJ resident who worked a few months in NJ, half the year in NYC (full time) and a very...

Married non-resident-am I single for state return? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I am Canadian and non-resident but married to another non-resident. For Federal tax, I am Married resident of Canada. What am I for state return? If I file State as Married filing separately, they want me to pay a lot. Can I claim I am single for State? I am filing two...

View more questions Search