Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andfaedo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 11:17 AM
    Usa-italy tax treaty
    Hello,
    I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF.
    I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007.
    I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not.
    If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all the taxes of the last two years next year when I can not use the treaty anymore?
    Thanks
    Andrea
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2006, 08:44 AM
    Andrea:

I just reviewed IRS Pub 901. I could find no provision specifically for research.

I assume there is some teaching involved with your position, in which case you can claim a total exemption from taxation for up to two years. However, if you exceed two years in country, the exemption is voided and the IRS will ask for back taxes (plus interest plus penalties for the two years you took the exemption).

My advice: Do NOT claim the exemption; the adverse effects is not worth the risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treaty USA-Italy Non-resident Alien Tax Exemption [ 27 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question related to the non-resident alien/resident alien problems. More in detail, I have a question about the exemption under international agreements between USA and my country Italy. Briefely, I describe my situation. I am an Italian citizien. On the 3rd of September 2002...

USA/Italy treaty for taxes?. [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Italian passport, and I am now working as an opera singer with a O1 VISA for a couple of months in a major Opera Company in USA. Two questions: What's the roof of gross earnings for not being taxed when they will pay me at the end of the gig? I just got the "allowance" cheque for...

Italy [ 2 Answers ]

English speaking and in Italy here...

Hairdryers in Spain and Italy [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I'll be traveling from the US to Spain and Italy this summer. Anyone know if my US hairdryer will work there? If not, any suggestions to get one that will work ahead of time? Much thanks.

View more questions Search