Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blu130 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2008, 03:07 PM
    What is this biting insect with a hook?
    I have been bitten by this unknown pest for the last 2 years. I thought I had flea bites so I bombed my apartment frequently. But upon taking my cat to the vet, I was informed my cat didn't have any fleas. So what is biting me? I still feel the bites and crawling sensations on my skin and they lare tiny round white specs(like a grain of salt), but sometimes they are brownish red or black with a hook. I contacted an exterminator and he told me"it wasn't an insect, it was nothing. I find these pests in my bed, clothing and on my skin. Sometimes when I wear my clothing, I will feel a biting sensation and upon checking my clothes I will find a thread-like white substance or a white or black spec with a hook biting me. The doctors don't believe me, they think its in my mind. If that's the case, why do I have a rash on both arms and waist, and itchy mosquito-like bites on my legs,arms and thighs. Is there a cure for this? So far I have had three(3) different pest control companies come to inspect my apartment and they say its probably bedbugs, but they see no evidence of bedbugs. I show them the unknown pest with the hook that is biting me and they tell me they have no idea what it is. Should I let the exterminator spray for bedbugs, hoping to terminate the pest with the hook that's biting me. I haven't have a good night sleep in almost 2 years. Does anyone have information on how to kill this insect?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 03:26 PM
    How big do they get?
    Do they wiggle or crawl?
    Do you sweep them up and they keep multiplying?
    I think it may be bed bugs or some kind of parasite.
    Rockstar714 Posts: 441, Reputation: 44

Jul 30, 2008, 03:28 PM
    I was thinking parasite... they can come out of your skin and go back in.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Bed bugs?

Also there are some mites that burrow into the fabric of clothing.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 07:20 PM
    Scabies?
    Tiny mites burrow in the skin and cause intense itching. Very contagious...

Scabies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Division of Parasitic Diseases - Scabies Fact Sheet

The white threads or specks may in fact be nothing more than threads or particles of clothing (dust) that are catching in your rash. I don't know, but it sounds like you really do have something, but you may not be able to see it. Just a thought.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2008, 06:12 PM
    By the way, I have never seen a bed bug, but my understanding is that they are pretty big and obvious. My godmother saw some in a hotel once and she said they were big bugs! And Wikipedia says: "Adult bedbugs are a reddish brown, flattened, oval, and wingless, with microscopic hairs that give them a banded appearance. A common misconception is that they are not visible to the naked eye. Adults grow to 4 to 5 mm (one-eighth to three-sixteenths of an inch) in length and do not move quickly enough to escape the notice of an attentive observer." There are pictures too.

Bedbug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another thought is eczema, which can be really itchy and is irritated by soaps and dry skin. Not sure what your rash looks like...

Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is this insect/bug? [ 19 Answers ]

Hi.. I got itching after I woke up in the morning. I found this bug near the place I sleep. Does anyone know what it is? I have never seen this kind of insect before.. its really small but I managed to take a pic from my cam! Thanks!

What kind of insect is this? [ 1 Answers ]

I found some Larve and some small little black bugs and then finally these in a car I had sitting in the barn. I have already set off two bug bombs and it seems to be bringing them out of hiding and killing them. I will set off another bomb tomorrow. Here is the pic... ...

Insect help! [ 7 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

Insect help! [ 2 Answers ]

Why did insects never evolve (or grow) to sizes more than about 10 to 12 inches long (and, even more strictly no more than an inch or two in diameter)?

View more questions Search