Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ramya Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Single W2 form for wages earned on F1 and H1-B
    Hello,

I am a citizen of India, I worked as an intern on F1 from Jan to May 2005, then from July 2005 I started working on H1-B for the same employer. But I have received only a single W2-form indicating that the wages I earned on F1 + the wages I earned on H1B are taxable.
    1) Is this right? Or should the W2 form not include the wages I earned while on F1?
    2) My employers payroll company says that they require a "certificate of coverage " to prove that I am tax exempt while on F1...

My husband is on H1-B and we filed taxes as ''Married filing jointly" in the 1040 Form. I thought that I could file for amendment once I receive the corrected W2 form from my employer, but now I am utterly confused and am not sure what I am supposed to do...
    Your help would be greatly appreciated...
    Thanks.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 01:35 PM
    Wages earned as F-1 student are taxable just like any other wages and I don't see a problem it being lumped with H1B wages (unless I am missing something here). "Tax exempt while on F1" most likely refer to social security and medicare taxes, a comparably small amount.

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 11, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Vaya is correct again; I have nothing to add!

Apr 11, 2006, 10:58 AM
    But how do I claim the standard deductable for the period I was on F1 according to the India-US treaty? I was not aware of this earlier... and now since I have already filed the taxes for 2005 is there anything that can be done now?

Thanks a lot your responses are greatly appreciated!
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 08:08 AM
    On Form 1040NR, second page, on the line marked ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS, put $5,000. Print on the dotted line to the left the following statement:

STANDARD DEDUCTION ALLOWED BY THE U.S.-INDIA TAX TREATY

Apr 14, 2006, 08:09 AM
    Thanks a lot for your response!

I have one more question --- since the taxes are due in 2 days ---
    1) IF I file the 1040NR before April 15th do I have to file for amendment or just file 1040NR
    2)What if I cannot file 1040NR before April 15th?

Thanks a ton!
    R
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 14, 2006, 05:32 PM
    R:

If you have a refund coming, then just file Form 4868 for a 6-month extension. Then just file Form 1040NR.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is salvation earned? [ 28 Answers ]

I was once told via an indirect, that there were Christians who expected to be saved by riding on the backs of those who heeded Jesus' instructions to preach the Gospel. I have also observed many Christians literally breaking their necks to be in good standing with God by preaching, looking down on...

Earned run? [ 3 Answers ]

If a batter is hit by the pitch and then later scores, does the pitcher get an earned run for that?

Query on foreign-earned taxation India/US DTAA [ 4 Answers ]

I was employed in US by a US organization for 5 months from Aug'05 to Dec'05 on H1B visa. I had file US returns with IRS in the month of April '06 with filing status as 'Other Single Non-resident alien', as I did not satisfy the substantial presence test of 183 days in US. Now, while I am...

Earned Income Credit [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ATE, I am an Indian national who entered US on F1 visa in Aug 2002 and am currently on OPT. I have been filing my tax returns all these years using cintax software which used 1040NREZ and 8843. I graduated in May 2005 and have been on OPT since then. I worked on F1 visa till May 2005...

How to view single record of ALL people at single address? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a table with addresses and names. I can easily sort it by address to see all the people living at the same address grouped together. However, this is problematic with mail-merges, since I wind up generating a new letter for each person, sending multiple mailings to the same residence. ...

View more questions Search