Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sprngz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Adding a shower to half bath on main floor (slab foundation)
    I am getting quotes to convert our attached 2 car garage to a living area for my recently widowed mother; this would give her a bedroom/sitting room and storage - the attached wall follows down my interior hallway and I've asked the home improvement guy to quote me a door at the end of hall to new living area to share the existing half bath - but I need a shower added.

He has indicated that since my home sits on a concrete slab that "adding" a shower would require drainage that just isn't there, so adding drainage would be a huge cost to incur (he's talking over 10K! )

Within 2 foot radius of the existing toilet is the bathroom sink plus the washing machine which has drainage.

Isn't there a way to use the washer drain as long as you don't shower and do laundry at same time?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2008, 06:38 AM
    Not that big a deal springz.
    Yes it would involve taking up the floor from the lavatory drain line, to the shower trap and raiser. The shower would be wet vented by the lavatory drain and you could take the hot and cold right off the lavatory supplies.
    10K sounds like it's too pricey for a shower install. Get three estimates and consuder doing the labor yourself, such as jackhammering up the cement and digging in the trench. This would save a lot of $. You decision! Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding a bathroom or add a shower to existing half bath? [ 1 Answers ]

Of course, I will get someone to come by and get an estimate, but I don't know if I will even be wasting their time. I'd like to get this done under $4000 or so. I also live in a condo, I don't know in general how the average condo association would react to such a thing, but I will soon find out....

Adding bath drain in concrete for existing half bath [ 1 Answers ]

I want to turn a half bath into a full bath in my basement. Currently the washer and dryer along with the water heater are in the half bath along with the commode and sink. I want to add a bath tub and the lay out of the room is such that the tub installation would probably require less work if it...

Adding shower to half bath downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, How would I start the rough in for a shower in a downstairs bathroom if I have a crawl space. Also my plumbing is 1/2 inch pvc and is this large enough for incoming water to the shower. I know you don't have my plans or anything, but all I am looking for is some tips. Also, I just want...

Adding a shower to half bath*rough-in question [ 24 Answers ]

Here's the deal... I am going to be adding a shower to an existing 1/2 bath in my basement. The toilet is vented up out of the slab on the other side of the wall,in my utility closet, makes about a 4' run into another wall where it ties into the lav. /washing machines' drain. the lav./washing...

View more questions Search