Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sharieuloth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 11:26 AM
    Heat Pumps
    We are building a log home and were wondering if , after the primary heat source(economic efficient wood stove insert), we should have a heat pump or just go with electricity. We do not know much about heat pumps but heard they are very efficient.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 12:31 PM
    You will have to do a manual J to determine the size of unit. Then you can calculate the amount of utility usage. All else is guess work.

You will get tired of playing with the wood after awhile or when someone is sick and cannot stoke the fire. I suggest you install a electric furnace with a heat pump to cover all the bases.

BTW unless you cut and split your own timber it will be a expensive way to heat. Been there done that years ago.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Not a bad idea. The controls will be a bit complex, but hvac100 is right on the money. Besides it gives you air conditioning.

Remember at low temperatures the heat pump will not work and thus electric backup (emergency heat) might also be required based on climate and the willingness to go outside in the extreme cold to manage the wood stove.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heat Pumps [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Orlando I rarely use the heat should I go with a straight ac unit with out a heat pump and by not having a heat pump could you gain any seer. By having a heat pump that you rarely need is it more connection's that might go wrong

Heat Pumps [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know why a heat pump would go into standby mode? If so, how can I repair it?

Heat Pumps [ 2 Answers ]

We are considering purchase of a condo with a heat pump in Connecticut (pretty cold winters). I know how they work but I don't know much about heat pump performance in this area. Any input would be appreciated.

Heat pumps [ 1 Answers ]

I have a co-op apartment in a high rise in NYC. It has old GE zoneline 3000 heat pumps. One of the two works fine, the other wotks OK but it is noisy. The fan is just loud. Should I bother to try to repair this or should I just replace them. If I replace them should I get heat pumps again or should...

Heat pumps [ 3 Answers ]

What does the emergency heat do on a heat pump?

View more questions Search