Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gregoryb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 07:52 AM
    Full-year for Federal, Part-year for State ?
    Hi,

I am an alien and comply with the qualification for full-year tax resident for Federal, but not with my state's where I should be considered as a part-year tax resident.
    Is it a problem if my status are different for federal and state, or does my federal status "overwrite" my state status and allows me to file as a full-year tax resident for state?

Thanks a lot for your help..

PS: I double-post this question in the forum.. sorry for any desagrement..
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 06:28 PM
    If you are positive about your status, then I see no problem because federaltaxation and state taxation works on different rules (for convenience they are usually pretty similar, in fact are independend).

BTW, how come you are a part-year resident? Could you explain?

Vaya
    gregoryb Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2006, 07:10 AM
    Hi Vaya and thank you for your answer...

I used to live in Hawaii and was a legal alien & tax resident but left the US in July 2005..
    For federal, I am a full-year tax resident for 2005 because of the Substantial Presence Test and the fact that I didn't have a Closer Connection to another country for tax purposes in 2005... ( => termination date = dec 31,2005)
    But for Hawaii, I am a part-year tax resident for 2005...

This is why...
    Thanks again...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 12, 2006, 09:54 AM
    Gregory:

Vaya is right; states consider residentcy based on physical location in the state, not on visa status.

On that basis, you are a part-year resident for Hawaii and a non-resident for the federal return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B from Oct'05: part of year resident? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I'm on H1B, my wife and son are on H4. We are in US (California) starting Oct 12, 2005. I have several questions: 1. I filed an extension of time. As I understand, after 5th of June I will pass substantial presence test (SPT) in 2006, and therefore can file 1040A for 2005 under...

Federal or state taxes on inheritance money [ 6 Answers ]

:) Hi, My father recently passed away and left 50,000 dollars to shared by 4 of his children,The lump sum is to go to my brother and he is to distribute it equally,He say's about 33% has to go to federal and state taxes,We live in Ohio,can you tell me if that is true? :eek: Thanks so much...

6th Year F1, Converted to H-1B last year [ 3 Answers ]

Hi ATE, Thank you so much for everything you have done for all of us. I really really appreciate your help and advice. You are THE man! My case is like that: I came to US on F1 in 08/2000, and had been on F1 until I got my H-1B visa on Nov. 1st last year. From last May to last Oct. I...

Part year resident for MA : bank interests [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The instructions for form 1-NR/PY ( I am a Mass. Part-year resident) say on page 9: "Income: Lines 5 through 11, 24, 27 and 28 If you earned only a portion of the income you reported on your U.S. return while you were a Massachusetts legal resident, subtract from your U.S. income the...

Pregnant 16 year old, by 14 year old [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if anyone knows the rape laws in Ohio. There is a situation that I need to find out. I know a 16 year old girl pregnant by a 14 year old boy. Is their a rape law that would apply. Can the 14 year old boys parents go after the 16 year old girl or can the girls parents go...

View more questions Search