Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 06:51 AM
    Problem With Home Inspection... Advice, Please!
    Hello group! I recently had a home inspection done on a home we are purchasing and certain issues came up that were unexpected during the inspection. These are not issues that warrant us not wanting to buy the home, but we would like to be compensated for the expenses of repairs and upgrades that will be needed prior to living there, in the area of $5K to $8K. Is it normal to make such a request and are concessions usually made for things like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 06:56 AM
    I hope that you had in the contract a contingency on a "satisfactory inspection".

If so, then simply do not "sign off" on this contingency, but instead add that to sign off on it, you'd need
    1. them to either credit you back for the amount that you feel it would take to cover the issues, or
    2. lower the price by that amount, or
    3. them to take care of the issues to your satisfaction.

PS, there are other issues that could come to play (like your appraisal not coming in high enough because of these issues), but if it were me in this situation, I'd do like I described.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 10, 2006, 08:29 AM
    This is a situation where you and the seller are back in a negotiating mode. You indicated that the items found on the inspection would not cause you to cancel the purchase, if not repaired. Do you really mean that? In my opinion, matters affecting health, safety, or further damage to the property (such as electrical problems or a bad roof) should be fixed. Cosmetic items are not that important.

Other factors affecting the demands that you make of the seller are: Did you get a great deal on the house, or did you pay top dollar? Are you in a buyer's or seller's market? What are the repective situations of the seller and buyer? Can the seller afford to find another buyer, if you should bail; can you afford to find another house? You should seek input from your Realtor, as to the how reasonable your requests are. Keep in mind that the Realtor has a vested interest to close theis transaction. I hope this helps.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr D
    This is a situation where you and the seller are back in a negotiating mode.
    Yes, IF you had a contingency built into the contract. If you do not have this contingency, you can of course still try to negotiate, but if they play hardball, they can insist you buy the house regardless and
    1. Not refund your deposit (if you gave one) and/or
    2. Sue you for breach of contract.

I don't say that to scare you: They're no doubt more interested in selling the house for a fair price asap, than they are in starting a potentially long and expensive lawsuit... just wanted to point this out because if you do not have the contingency of a satisfactory inspection, then your negotiating will need to be handled far more tactfully than so if you do have that contingency.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Apr 10, 2006, 08:56 AM
    At least in AZ, the home inspection contingency is built into the standard Real Estate Purchase Contract. This gives the buyer a ten day period to approve the condition of the property. This allows the buyer to immediately cancel the Contract, with full refund of Earnest Money; or provide the seller an opportunity to correct the items disapproved. Since the original post stated that the buyer did not wish to cancel the contract, I assumed that option to be available.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Aah, good point. Here in Ohio that contingency is not a part of the contract unless added by the Buyer, and agreed upon by the Seller.

... hope this is helping, mz2richard. Let us know how it's going.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2006, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mz2richard
    Is it normal to make such a request and are concessions usually made for things like this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!:confused:
    Yes it is normal to make such a request. Generally, the seller will lower the Sales price. Sometimes they will offer to make the repairs themselves prior to closing (in which case you should reinspect). Other times, the seller may agree to turn over a check in compensation at closing (get that in writing).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 11:26 AM
    Agreed, it is just part of the buying and selling procedure. After the inspection you ask for either the repairs to be done before closing or the price reduced enough to cover these costs. The seller can merely say no they will not, either pay the price or forget it, or they can say yes, or they can say well not... amount, but we will allow... amount.

So it is all up to you on that. But honestly your real estate agent should be handling all of that for you and answering all of those questions, that is why they are making the money they are for HELPING you.
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 06:24 PM
    Hello Group & thank you ever so kindly for all of the posts. Things worked out great and I think it gives us that little extra "push" of reassurance and I thank you all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New puppy [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We just adopted a 5 week old puppy. The mother is a Bernese Mountain Dog, the father a Black Lab. We’ve had her for 4 days now and she’s doing fairly well with being house trained and spending time in a crate. My question is how best to handle full time jobs and a puppy. I realize that it’s...

Mold Problem Found After Inspection - can I get out? [ 2 Answers ]

I am due to settle on a new house in PA on 20th October. When we did the inspection, Several things were wrong, but after a fair bit of too-ing and fro-ing the Seller agreed to sort them out (radon, basement mold, termites etc). We got a Note through last week saying all this had been completed...

Advice needed please on home hair colouring [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I used to have a fantastic hairdresser who came to my home every 6 weeks to colour my hair for 10 years, I loved how she did it, but unfortunately she had to move away because of her husbands job. This has been over 6 years and I have tried unsuccessfully to re-create the colour myself at...

Central AC won't come on following home inspection [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the process of selling my house and a home inspection was just performed. Supposedly everything went okay and no problems with heating/ac were noted on the report. However, when I got back in town, the house was warm. The AC wouldn't come on when I adjusted the thermostat (on auto or on...

View more questions Search