Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

Apr 10, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Jesus' childhood through adulthood
    Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus.. obviously he was going to be important from the get go... Virgin Mary getting pregnant... the 3 wise men.. where did all these stories go?what about Jesus' brothers and sisters.. what happened to them?any answers?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 06:46 AM
    I would say one of two reasons:

Either those who knew him best did not know about his early life or the life of his family (although I do not believe that he had siblings), or they felt it not important to document.

... just my opinion/guess... which is all anyone can do since the NT authors do not tell us why they did not include this info.

There are stories of his childhood in some writings of the 2nd-4th centuries, but most scholars call these stories legendary; probably not factual.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 07:32 AM
    For a silly laugh, check out the book

Lamb, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal
    By Christopher Moore

http://www.chrismoore.com/bookpage.a...SBN=0380813815

A humorous, silly piece that makes fun with this obvious omission.

A light, quick read that'll give you no real answer to your question, but amuse you a bit with the fictional problems the young Jesus might have encountered as a child.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 11:37 AM
    First it is doubtful that Jesus had brothers and sisters, perhaps a step relitive from Joseph but that is even suspect.

Part of that reasoning is that on the cross Jesus gave the responsibility of seeing over his mother to one of his followers, had Jesus had actual brothers that would have fallen to them automatically.

We have to remember that we are often fooled by first King James English which often does not have the same meanings as words into days culture, next is that Greek words often mean other things than what our words do, or can vary in Usage. The term brothers and sisters often meant first and even second cousins, families were much closer in those days.

Next the bible only needs to tell us about things that are needed to know, the early part, so we see the fulfillment of the scripture, and the last part of his ministry so we have the message he came to give.

Most can merely be assumed since he would have been raised the average youth of those years
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 10, 2006, 01:24 PM
    The Bible never gives an exact count, but Jesus' siblings are mentioned in several Bible verses. Matthew 12:46, Luke 8:19, and Mark 3:31 say that Jesus' mother and brothers came to see Him. Jesus had four brothers: James, Joseph, Simon, and Judas (Matthew 13:55). Jesus also had sisters, but they are not named or numbered (Matthew 13:55-56). In John 7:1-10, His brothers go on to the festival. In Acts 1:14, His brothers and mother pray for Him. Later in Galatians 1:19, it mentions that James was Jesus' brother. The most natural conclusion of these passages is to interpret that Jesus had blood siblings. There is no Biblical reason to believe that these siblings are not the actual children of Mary and Joseph. They were obviously born after Jesus, because Jesus was born of a virgin,Mary.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 01:56 PM
    Again Nez not trying to argue, but you are merely reading today's bible in english and felling this is exactly what was written in the early text and the word brother is just what it means today. If brother was changed to family or cousins, it would not mean the same, and in the hewbrew it could have well meant that. When the early King James writters wrote brothers they assumed everyone understood the meaning of the word.

But today with no real update in the King James bible, and many of the newer texts just accepting the meaning.

And of course the fact that the Hewbrew wording could have been used in either meaning, one can argue back and forth, but looking at the importance of Jesus statement on the cross, it would be hard to believe that he had earthly brothers ( at least from Mary) in that he felt it important enough to have her taken care of. And perhap included in the bible to show us there were no earthly brothers
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 11, 2006, 09:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommyp!972
    Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus.. obviously he was going to be important from the get go... Virgin Mary getting pregnant... the 3 wise men.. where did all these stories go? What about Jesus' brothers and sisters.. what happened to them?any answers?
    Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus..
    Because what is included is what is necessary for our salvation and nothing more is needed.

what about Jesus' brothers and sisters.. what happened to them?
    James became a Christian disciple as did Jude. Both were inspired to write and their writings found in the Bible under the book of Jude and the book of James. The Bible doesn't say anything more about their lives for the reason stated above. However, there are traditional extrabiblical writings which purport to trace the lives of these two men although their historical accuracy isn't 100% certain.

BTW

Belief or disbelief that Jesus had or didn't have siblings isn't essential for salvation. In either case Mary remains pure since marriage is a sacred institution and relations within it are not sinful. Jesus himself spoke of this as normal.

Matthew 19:4-6

4"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'[a] 5and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'[b]? 6So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

Actually, childbearing women were viewed as blessed while barren woman, or ones who could not bear children, were viewed as being cursed. Children were seen as a blessing from God.

Psalm 113:9
    He settles the barren woman in her home as a happy mother of children. Praise the LORD

Psalm 127:3-5

3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD,
    Children a reward from him.

New International Version (NIV)
    EmmaWells Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus..obviously he was gonna be important from the get go...Virgin Mary getting pregnant... the 3 wise men..where did all these stories go?what about Jesus' brothers and sisters..what happened to them?any answers?
    They did not make the cut. Emma
    Jeff Logan Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Jesus was just like you and I until He heard from His Father. People just don't remember the normal actions of other people when they're young unless something very unusual happens. Lack of communication could be another reason.

Jeff :confused:
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
    There is very little about his youth but this scripture tells us that he knew his mission even as a child. Luke 2:40 And the child grew, and waxed strong in spirit, filled with wisdom: and the grace of God was upon him.
    41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
    42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
    43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
    44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.
    45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
    46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
    47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
    48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? Behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.
    49 And he said unto them, How is it that ye sought me? Wist ye not that I must be about my Father's business?
    50 And they understood not the saying which he spake unto them.
    51 And he went down with them, and came to Nazareth, and was subject unto them: but his mother kept all these sayings in her heart.
    52 And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.
    I think these are the scriptures that NEz was referring to.
    Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? And are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Mathew 13: 55 Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas?
    56 And his sisters, are they not all with us? Whence then hath this man all these things?
    Jeff Logan Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2007, 05:13 AM
    Jesus knew about His mission at a young age but no one else did. Documentation has to be present if something is to be valid.

Jeff
    Lacey5765 Posts: 157, Reputation: 50

Jun 10, 2007, 03:22 PM
    What about Mary and Elizabeth? They knew he had a divine mission and was the son of God. The Gospel of Luke and Mathew both note that.
    ActionJackson Posts: 301, Reputation: 28

Jun 10, 2007, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Again Nez not trying to argue, but you are merley reading todays bible in english
    If we can't trust that God gave us reliable information in "today's Bible" concerning this issue then how can we trust anything that the Bible says on any issue? What language must we speak before we can trust that what we are reading is God's Word?

If the Bible can't be trusted (the King James being the most reliable version) then we may as well read Stephen King novels.

Jun 10, 2007, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Logan
    Jesus knew about His mission at a young age but noone else did. Documentation has to be present if something is to be valid.

Jeff
    John the Baptist knew that Jesus would come after him. The archangel, Gabriel, visited Joseph and Mary before Christ was born... he knew what was to come. After Gabriel spoke with Joseph and Mary, they knew that Jesus was the Son of God. The wise men followed a star to locate the baby Jesus... they knew that something important was about to happen. Even King Herod knew something was up else he would not have had all the male babies of a certain age killed hoping to kill the coming King.

Jun 10, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Logan
    Jesus was just like you and I until He heard from His Father. People just don't remember the normal actions of other people when they're young unless something very unusual happens. Lack of communication could be another reason.

Jeff :confused:
    Jesus was 100% man and 100% God. He was not "just like you and I" since we were born in sin and He was born sinless. He had to be sinless else His sacrifice on the cross would be insufficient. He was the Lamb without blemish. His sacrifice was perfect for He was perfect.
    poppa0777 Posts: 104, Reputation: 11

Jun 14, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Why doesn't the bible include the early life of Jesus..obviously he was gonna be important from the get go...Virgin Mary getting pregnant... the 3 wise men..where did all these stories go?what about Jesus' brothers and sisters..what happened to them?any answers?
    Sir, in the first place, it would be impossible for the Scriptures to address every issue. I think the more important issue for us is to pray and study to gain understanding of the things the Lord would want us to know. As an example; to me, it's more important just to know that He Lives, and that He's seated at the Right hand of God making intercession for all of His children.
    My best guess (which I don't really like to do) is that Jesus' early life was not recorded so that when He entered His public ministry the day John baptized
    Him in the river Jordan...
    His impact on the world would be mind-boggling. His first miracle was at the marriage of Cana where He turned water into wine. It was a miracle in that grapes will turn into wine which is in the natural course of nature. Turning water into wine however, is a suspension of the ordinary course of nature which is what makes it a miracle. I hope this helps!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Did Jesus Ever Say He was God? [ 252 Answers ]

:confused: Is Jesus Christ God? Investigate these interesting claims... The earliest followers of Jesus all seemed pretty convinced that Jesus was fully God in human form. Paul said, "He is the image of the invisible God...in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell." John said...

Childhood experiences no longer occur. [ 6 Answers ]

Okay, so I'm 15. This TECHNICALLY makes me a teenager... which isn't far from being a child... which sounds stupid for me to say childhood in the first place. Anyway... When I was little, starting at the age of 5 (which is as far back as I can remember) I would sleepwalk. I'd sleepwalk and...

Lost childhood memories [ 4 Answers ]

I can not remember any part of my childhood. I am 16 years of age, and can't remember things about my family from when I was even 11. I did not have a bad home life, but my mother was bi-polar manic depressive, and I seem to have blocked out all memory of her in my childhood, including both good...

A Song From My Childhood [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone recognize this song from these few pieces of lyrics. I remember it as a child being played as like a comedy type record on children's radio shows. The song was basically about someone running and trying to keep up with a car ( I think ) and as the song went on the car was getting...

View more questions Search