Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    _frustr8ted_ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Slander and Defamation in the workplace
    We have an employee who has been making accusations against other employees. She accused one coworker of taking bribes from customers, and today accused two other employees of having an affair. In neither case are these accusations true. On the first instance, she was reported to HR, who did an investigation, but refused to discipline her in any fashion because they have an "open door" policy. In both cases, these accusations could possibly result in termination, and a damage to reputation. My coworkers are not taking any action, but I would like to be prepared in case I am the next one to be slandered.

Our company is based in Washington State.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 10:47 PM
    The first thing that I would do is get a printed copy of the documentation concerning employee policies so that you know that you are following the correct steps and that management is also. If she is saying these things, I hope that there are credible witnesses to her saying them. That way you could have more clout when speaking with management concerning them doing anything about it. I would hope that she would be disciplined in writing with a warning that if she were to do it again, that she will be terminated.

Hopefully others will also come along to address your question.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 07:59 AM
    Have you taken your concerns to your boss? This can have a chilling affect on the workplace morale, and they need to know what's going on and how it affects you so that they can make the best decisions for the company.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 06:49 AM
    How long has this person been working at your company to have such a horrible attitude with false accusations? Am shocked that HR has not disciplined her for this. If you are accused of wrongdoing, by all means go to HR and cover your behind with them. I predict she's either on her way out shortly for such behavior and the company is trying to find a replacement for her job.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2008, 06:52 AM
    I would go to HR or your immediate supervisor and explain to them that you are concerned about the effect this person's actions have had on staff morale and interaction. Tell them you are concerned about the liability of the company if they are aware of this person's slandering and do not take appropriate action against the person.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file for defamation of Character or Slander [ 5 Answers ]

On Saturday, June 28th, my organization hosted a women's expo. The turnout of attendees were not as expected. As a result, I have 3 vendors who participated in the expo asking for their money back. All guildelines for vendors clearly state that all vendor booth sales are final. Since they are...

Slander/defamation in the workplace [ 20 Answers ]

How much can I sue a company for slander/defamation by an employer

Slander and Defamation of Character [ 5 Answers ]

I would like to know if I can sue my husbands x-wife for stating on paper through her attorney that I have called her daughter a lesbian. Also, for stating that I have tried to cause her child harm by sending elicit pictures of her daughter to the school she attends. All these are wrongful and...

View more questions Search