Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    serena67 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Contested divorce
    Our daugther has filed for divorce. Her soon to be X, I hope, is contesting wanting equity. We gave her the land, made down payment and other expenses of setting up double wide. He signed papers all he intitled to was one half of principal paid on home. He has not lived there for 2 yrs and did not work enough to help her out with any payments on home, has not paid any child support, son is now entering college. Her attorney is now needing $1500.00. Can we file a lien on this property now? The mortgage is in her name only. He doesn't have a job, don't know how he is paying an attorney.

JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2008, 05:56 AM
    [QUOTE=serena67]Our daugther has filed for divorce. Her soon to be X, I hope, is contesting wanting equity. We gave her the land, made down payment and other expenses of setting up double wide. He signed papers all he intitled to was one half of principal paid on home. He has not lived there for 2 yrs and did not work enough to help her out with any payments on home, has not paid any child support, son is now entering college. Her attorney is now needing $1500.00. Can we file a lien on this property now? The mortgage is in her name only. He doesn't have a job, don't know how he is paying an attorney.

You would have to get a Judgment against the owner (presumably the husband) and then, yes, lien against the property.

I don't see that he owes you any money, though, so I don't know your grounds for a suit and judgment. This is between your daughter and her husband.

(In my area a $1,500 retainer is ridiculously low - Attorneys are asking for $7,500 up front, plus ongoing fees.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 30, 2008, 06:11 AM
    If he signed a paper saying he's entitled to 1/2 the principal paid then that's all he is enttled to. I agree with Judy that I see no justification for a lien or a suit. You gave your daughter the property and money as a gift, unless you have proof it was a loan.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Does the ex owe you anything? If not, you have no reason to sue him, and you will not be able to put a lien on the property. His claim for equity is a formality and the judge (or jury) will determine what is fair to both parties. Your daughter needs a lawyer, as you have pointed out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Contested Adoption [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently engaged in a contested adoption with my ex-husband. He has not seen her or paid child support in four years. My current husband is trying to adopt her, but the Ex-husband is contesting it. My question is, has anybody ever been through this? What can I expect? What is the total cost?...

I want divorce [ 3 Answers ]

Ff

I got a contested divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I am living in CA. After I got married, I have been in constant verbal and physical violence from my wife. After my wife beat me several times in one week in August 2007, I filed a refraining order and moved out. Since then we separated. Last month I filed the divorce petition, recently I received...

I want to fill for a non contested divorce on my own what should I do [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 7 years now. Wev'e only lived together for the 1st month and have never live together since. We have no kids no property or any dept together, nothing. We speak sometimes to one another and we both bring up the subject of divorce and we agree to meet complete...

Non-contested court judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I read where someone in PA is dealing with a possible court awarded judgement, I live I Arizona and need some answers. I received a notice from the court saying that The court has awarded judgement to pay the debt. First, I will say neither I nor my husband appeared in court on this matter. ...

View more questions Search