Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Maria Anagnostopoulos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 08:05 PM
    Moving drain in custom shower, whirlpool tub and toilet on concrete slab
    I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab.

My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill?

I would need to move the shower and tub hole app. 15 inches and the toilet hole app. 5 feet.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2006, 09:14 PM
    I think your only recourse is to break out the concrete to move those drains... To make it easier and neater you can rent a concrete saw and to make the first cut and then do the rest with a electric hammer.
    Maria Anagnostopoulos Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Importance of drain hole centered in custom tiled shower floor
    How important is it that the drain hole be centered on the custom tiled shower floor? I would like to change the dimensions of my custom shower from 4' x 5' to 3 1/2' x 6', primarily to comfortably accommodate a tile bench. The drain hole will then be off center by app. 15 inches. As long as the floor is properly sloped toward the drain from all sides, is it a big deal to be off center? I assume a flexible shower pan membrane (vs an inflexible shower base) will be used under the tile floor.

Sincerely
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 04:06 AM
    No problem at all as long as the slope of the floor is right.

... I assume that the drain itself (in the floor under the shower) will stay in the same place; is that right?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 10, 2006, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Maria Anagnostopoulos
    I am finalizing plans to update a master bathroom that sits on a concrete slab.

My question is: can shower, whirlpool tub and toilet drain holes be moved without drilling into the concrete? If so, what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill?

I would need to move the shower and tub hole app. 15 inches and the toilet hole app. 5 feet.
    Good morning Maria,

If you're asking if the fixture rough-ins can be offset without drilling new holes or trenching to the new position the answer is NO they can not. What's more you will have to make a new opening for the tub trap and raiser.

"what is the maximum amount that the holes can be repositioned without having to drill?"
    The tub and shower raisers MUST be in line with the drain. The toilet can be repositioned with a offset flange to 4" although it's not recomended.

"How important is it that the drain hole be centered on the custom tiled shower floor?"
    I agree with Rick. The drain can be any place on the shower floor as long as the tile floor slopes to it.
    Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving Bathtub across room on a concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I am considering changing the location of my bathtub. I'd like to replace it with a whirlpool garden-style tub, and move it over to another wall. On the new wall the drain end of the tub would butt against the existing freestanding shower. This would require breaking through the slab to...

Moving toilet stack under concrete [ 1 Answers ]

We have already cracked our concrete and now have access to the toilet stack to re-route to the location we want. The issue is the sewer pipe is covered with ground water. We've tried draining the water but it keeps coming back. This isn't surprising given the grade of our house. We're wondering...

Bathtub Drain concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

I'm just finishing up the basment. The bath drain is roughed in. My problem is the rough-in is on the wrong side. I want the bathtub installed with the plumbing fitures on the same wall as the toilet. Can I run a drain line under the tub?

Installing a toilet in concrete slab [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, This is a great forum. I was wondering if you could offer me some advice? I am converting part of my garage into a bathroom. I will be busting up the concrete and running a new 3'' pipe for the toilet. My question is regarding the vent. How far away can I be really? There is an existing...

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search