Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Timo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Rewiring 220V coffee maker to 110V
    I want to buy a vintage European coffeemaker with a heating element (220V 50hz) and do whatever is necessary to get it to plug safely into a standard two-prong or three-prong wall outlet here in the USA.

I've read some answers here about converting a 220V appliance to 110V, but the answers assumed more knowledge than I have about this subject, which is almost zilch :(

Are there step-by-step instructions anywhere for doing this sort of conversion? Do I have to take the machine apart to get at its insides, or can the work be done on the wire and plug outside the machine?
    Thanks
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 02:33 AM
    You can change the heating element inside to 120 volt, thou not sure where you will find the exact element to fit that is 120 volt.

The best you may do is to set up a 120 volt to 220 volt transformer, so you do not need to take the coffee maker apart.

You may be better served by bringing the unit to a small appliance shop that may have the parts to change the unit to 120 volt properly.

Apr 10, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    You can change the heating element inside to 120 volt
    The best you may do is to set up a 120 volt to 220 volt transformer, so you do not need to take the coffee maker apart.
    Thanks for the information and the sound advice. May I follow up on the first item, changing the existing heating element to 120V. Not how to do it, but what the negative effects would be if it were left in place. If left unchanged, will the heating element not work at all, or be a fire or schock hazard, or simply work less efficiently?

Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 12:08 PM
    If you try to operate the 220 volt maker at 120 volt the element may only get warm, certainly not hot enough to make the coffee maker work properly.

Apr 10, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Thanks. Your answers have been very helpful. You've steered me away from a mistake :)
    Best regards

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

110v vs 220v Applicances [ 8 Answers ]

I am redoing a house, and am replacing many appliances (water heater, room air conditioner, mini oven/stove). For each of these, I have the choice of either choosing 110v or 220v applicances. I've always wanted to know: - Is there an advantage to installing 220v appliances. - Is it cheaper...

220v to 110v [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing an electric stovetop. The one I removed had 4 wires.. red, black,white, and bare copper. The new one has 3.. black, red, and bare.. from what I have read here, the old system is a 220v/110v system... I assume that I hook up red to red, black to black, bare to ground. How...

What is better to use 110V or 220V? [ 2 Answers ]

What is better to use 110V or 220V?

220v to 110v [ 2 Answers ]

How do I wire a 220v circuit to accept a 110v plug and play spa?

Is 220V better than 110V? [ 5 Answers ]

My pool pump is running at 110V. I noticed that I can change the wiring position and run it at 220V. Someone at work mentioned that 220V is more efficient. Would I see a savings on the electric bill? Is this true? The wires now are 12 gauge. Could I just change the breaker and the...

View more questions Search