Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brittani Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 04:39 PM
    Picking A Dog Breed
    Well, I'm finally going to be able to get a puppy since we're going to move out of our current home and into one that allows pets. We currently have a young feline that is very playful and laid back, and she puts up with my five year old sister's 'hard loving' quite well. I wan't to get a medium sized dog that I could keep indoors, play with, and take to the park and out for walks. All in all, I need some help in picking a medium sized dog breed that I can bring into my home without having to worry about the whole cat v.s. dog situation. My dad want's one of the small breeds because he doesn't wan't to get me a canine that is hard to take care of. Any ideas on what I should do? :confused:
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 04:58 PM
    I had a chou
    And a black lab, huskie mix
    They were both great with my cats in fact my choux thought she was the surrogate mother
    And my lab/huskie thought she was one of the siblings of the kittens.

I think it would be harder with little dogs cause most tend to be high strung and yip at every little thing.
    As far as small dogs a calm terrier might work
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 29, 2008, 05:14 PM
    If you have a lot of time for play I would suggest a Husky, they love other dogs, cats and people they are of all use except for a guard dog. They are loving and loyal and very intelligent. But they need lots of attention and exercise.
    About the little dogs I agree with nohelp4u. Some owners of smaller dogs do not see their dog as even the slightest threat they therefore seldom give the same boundaries as a bigger dog like german shepherd for example. So if you do get a smaller dog, remember that all dogs need boundaries.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Most dogs will get along fine with your cat if you introduce them properly. Then there are some dogs, of any breed that want to chase and chew up cats.

If you get a puppy, it can be easy to work with the cat and dog. Puppies are impressionable and most cats understand the plafull nature better than we do. Their patience and tolerance is amazing. Look at how your cat puts up with your little sister.

Small breeds are good when you have to pick them up and put them into the bathtub, then hold them still. They can also share your bed without taking up too much room. It costs less to feed them. They are easy to accidentally step on.

I have three dogs, none yap incessantly, they get in trouble if they do. My Chihuahua is scared of anything bigger than a cat. She loves the kitties and they put up with her. Our Pug is rough with cats but could be trained to leave them alone, he just wants to play. Then we have a Basenji (a medium sized dog) who is more like a cat than a dog. She is difficult to train because of her breed. The cats are not afraid of her because she was smaller than them when she was a puppy. They still let her drag them around by the tail.

Get a mixed breed, they are good dogs and cost less. Research medium and small breed personalities so you know basically what you're getting. When you bring the puppy home, be prepared to spend a large part of the day with it the first few weeks. Get a puppy training book and work with the dog daily. As the owner, you are the pack leader. Be in charge, kindly, and the pup will feel it can trust you.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 07:01 PM
    Mixed breed is definitely a good idea. But, before you go dog-hunting, make a list with your family. How active are you? What do you do in the evenings? How long will the dog be left alone? How big is the place you are getting? Is there a yard, and is it fenced? Where is the dog in the morning when you get up, while you are eating, during the day, in the evening? How much grooming do you want to do?

Basically, if each of you could get the "perfect" dog... what does that mean? Some people want one that is going to run around and play lots of games, others want one that will snuggle up on the couch while they watch TV. Neither is wrong, but getting the wrong type of dog is only going to cause friction. Once your family has discussed what the "ideal" dog is like, then you can go to some of the shelters and rescues and talk to the staff. Tell them what you are looking for, and see if they can match you up.

Also, so shelters are starting to use personality matching to try and steer you to a compatible pet. You might want to see if yours is.
    joeoconnell2008 Posts: 27, Reputation: 3

Jul 29, 2008, 07:07 PM
    Well I have a cat.
    And I have a rotweiller. Jackrussel/terrier
    And another dog that is meant to be vicious(cant member what breeds he is)
    And none of the dogs touch my cat they walk past it without even a bark.

So what I am saying is it's the way you bring the dog up is the main part.
    But lab's are friendly dogs and the best pic for a family pet.
    cooldoglouie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 02:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittani
    Well, I'm finally going to be able to get a puppy since we're going to move out of our current home and into one that allows pets. We currently have a young feline that is very playful and laid back, and she puts up with my five year old sister's 'hard loving' quite well. I wan't to get a medium sized dog that I could keep indoors, play with, and take to the park and out for walks. All in all, I need some help in picking a medium sized dog breed that I can bring into my home without having to worry about the whole cat v.s. dog situation. My dad want's one of the small breeds because he doesn't wan't to get me a canine that is hard to take care of. Any ideas on what I should do? :confused:
    OK I suggest to get a shih tzu they are easy to train
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2008, 08:40 PM
    If you work with a good rescue, a greyhound is always a possibility. They are not small dogs by a long shot, but a lot of them are pretty calm, some of them get along with cats, and the vast majority are really good on leash, so it would be a dog that you could control on walks. You'd have to be willing to go with an adult dog (which might not be a bad idea in general, since it can be hard to see if a puppy is actually going to wind up cat-safe).
    kenchan Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2008, 08:56 PM
    Hi! I have a daschund and a cat. They don't really fight but there are times that my cat screams so loud, I thought he was hurt because my dog was pulling my cat's tail. But when my dog let go my cat's tail, my cat just keeps coming back to the dog, maybe they're really just playing. At night especially when its cold, I saw my cat sleeping beside my dog. My dog sametimes eat lying down because he doesn't want my cat to wake up. Sounds silly but its true.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Jul 31, 2008, 12:12 PM
    I agree with rex123. I believe Siberian Huskies are some of the best dogs that you can possibly have. My two husky ladies are great with cats, children, and everyone else. They aren't barkers, funny noises if they are annoyed yes, but no nuisance barking. They are extremely intelli8gent and fairly easy to train. While they are a high energy breed, they are not in the least bit destructive inside, and fairly relaxed with regular walks. They are both passed out on the floor by my feet at this very moment. While they do shed their under coats twice a year, their hair has been proven to be easier on people with allergies. They also will however dig if given the chance. Its in their blood and nature. The plus side to that is they often clean themselves and look clean. They can also never be trusted off leash. Their natural desire to run will kick in, and while they may not necessarily be trying to leave home, unless if you have a male who smells some ladies, they just want to do what they were bred to to. No matter what breed you pick though, make sure you do your research because each breed comes with its own set of rules!
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 31, 2008, 04:31 PM
    What silverfoxkit says is true. They can not be trusted off leash. Actually I was just outside with rex to take him for a walk and he slipped out of his choke chain. He's not as bad as most huskies he stays around the yard, but he tends to play that game you know catch me if you can. Fortunately it took me only 2 minutes to catch him, looks like I won this round. But as for the digging if it becomes a problem, there is a way to curb the behavior. I taught rex to dig on command , so the only time he digs is at the beach or down behind our house, when I ask him to. They are great indoor dogs and are actually quite calm. My brothers dog is a lab and he barks and cries all day, rex just lays down and sleeps most of the day.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2008, 04:34 PM
    A nice sweet english style labrador female. It's the best dog I have ever had. Loves everything and everyone

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Compulsive picking [ 56 Answers ]

How does one stop the compulsion to picking at their skin? I have scars all over from picking at the tiniest zit or bump on me. It becomes huge and takes forever to go away. Anything aside from attending meetings and such. I don't think outing such an embarrassing thing would help me much. ...

Picking up girls? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a huge problem. I can't seem to ever pick up any girls, I don't know why. I'm single, good looking, in college and I'm smart, but it seems like they see it the complete opposite. Could it be something I'm saying or doing? Could it be my attitude or how I project my image? I'm so confused, I...

Picking loosers [ 7 Answers ]

Why would my daughter pick guys that are loosers? They have emotional problems and are emo or gothic or satanist. She says she is emo.

Picking fruit [ 1 Answers ]

How do I know when a watermelon is ready for piching?

I need help with picking a dress. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a sophomore and I am going to my boyfriends schools semi-formal winter carnival dance. I don't want to be to dressed up since I don't know many of the people there. I am 5' 4", brownish hair, brown eyes, freckles, and kind of tan but not really. And I like darker colors. I also am not looking...

View more questions Search