Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    butter5144 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 01:51 PM
    Sick turtle
    My son has had a turtle for a few weeks and was eating great until he fed it a green grass hopper and it hasn't eaten for 5 days now. I've offered it all sorts of different food for turtles and it's not interested. Temp. is good with basking area and very clean. His eyes are swollen and every inactive. What can I do?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 02:17 PM
    I don't think we have anyone on this site that will be able to help you with this problem, although I could be wrong. The best thing to do is take the turtle to your vet, and hope that the vet knows something about turtles, they are considered an exotic pet and not all vets will be trained extensively on how to treat them.

Good luck.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 05:38 PM
    How To Take Care Of A Turtle - Important Points

Note the "Ask a turtle expert link"
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Great link KISS, I'm sure it will be appreciated. :)
    gctts Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Aug 23, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Hello, I was not signed up when you posted your question so this answer is not timely, and if you did not seek vet care, I doubt your turtle survived. The grasshopper had nothing to do with the turtle becoming ill - that is a natural food for them. Lack of appetite combined with swollen eyes is usually upper respiratory illness that if untreated progresses to lower respiratory illness (pneumonia). A vet would need to start antibiotic injections for any chance for survival. By the time these symptoms show up, the turtle has been sick more than two weeks, so be sure not to buy from the same source as they are selling sick turtles (very common in the turtle pet trade).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Help me, my turtle is being weird [ 9 Answers ]

I just bought a turtle, and its breathing really hard, with its mouth open when its on the land part of the tank... Is it panting because its hot??

Turtle set up [ 1 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying 2 map turtles.what size terrarium is best? What capacity?also what filters and bulbs etc.I haven't got a clue. Please help?! :confused:

Turtle Water [ 1 Answers ]

I have a red eared slider named Holly- she is about two years old and the sweetest turtle ever!:D I've recently been having trouble with her water. I change it like clockwork each week. She is in a 20 gallon tank with a Fluval filter good for up to 60 gallons. I clean the filter once a week...

RES turtle [ 1 Answers ]

Is soft shell disease contagious to other turtles?

Help me with a turtle please. [ 7 Answers ]

Im getting one of those little green water turtles that people sell in malls... Ive looked on a lot of websites how to take care of them and they are all different... What do I need to buy/do to make sure its taken care of. I need to know everything, it's a baby green turtle from the water

View more questions Search