Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deng Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 04:40 PM
    Foreign Tax Credit
    Hello,

I'm a GC holder and I lived in 2005 in the US but I got a small amount of wages and interest from a foreign country. I paid taxes on the foreign interest.

It seems to be very difficult to fill out necessary forms.

I don't know if I need to file the form 1116 to claim the foreign tax credit. IRS instructions say that this is possible without filing 1116 if it is a) passive income, b) smaller than $300, and c) I got 1099 or similar substitute payee statement.

I got only foreign bank statement (in a foreign language) so does it qualify as a "1099 or similar"?

Is it possible not claim the foreign tax credit (i.e. to have double taxation and lose $50 or so) ? How this should be done? Can I just claim that I did not pay any foreign taxes (I will naturally report all income) ?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 10, 2006, 09:45 AM
    You do NOT have to file Form 1116 if you feel it is not worth the effort.

Are you using tax software? The software usually makes it rather easy to fill in Form 1116.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

J1 - Foreign Intern [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I started a professional training program in the US last year and it will go on until end of November. My employer gave me a 1099-MISC form but so far I don't know what I have to do. I am beginning to worry as the deadline arrives. What form do I have to fill, what mistakes can I...

Help me compute US tax liaibility after foreign tax credit [ 2 Answers ]

:eek: A us company Frank expand with a new co (Ana) formation into a foreign host company with a 20% tax on corporate income within its borders. At the end of its fourth yr of operations the foreign corp Ana distributes $100,000 to Frank from its earning and progits previously taxes by the host...

Foreign currency [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I get a small amount of Italian currency for a gift in Denver,CO

Foreign accounts [ 1 Answers ]

I do not understand the purpose of form 90-22.1 (foreign accounts). It says to report foreign accounts if their aggregate value is >$10,000 .( I have a GC, so I have to report my worldwide income ). But, in Schedule B for form 1040, one just mentions " yes, I do have a foreign bank account in a...

View more questions Search