Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inna1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Would like to divorce but risk to return back home
    I have met my husband on internet. After 6 months of dating we get married. We were living in Africa. After a month of living together, he applied for a job in an international organization in Washington, DC and got it. So he moved to the US. During that time I was working as an accountant in an accounting firm, and at the same time I was preparing to start my master degree but he wanted me to join him as soon as possible to US. I wanted to get my master before joining him but he didn’t stop to make pressure on me. So I give up my study and my job and joined him two months later after he moved to US. We both hold a G4 visa. I used to be very happy while I was single. But since I get married it seems like I have done some bad things and now God is punishing me. We have been married for almost three years but I can’t remember at least once, a happy moment with him. It is impossible to have a peaceful communication together, it always turns to be awful. I suffer a lot but I say myself that I need patience and hoping that one day it will be better. However it is far away to be the case. We have a 16 months old daughter which he loves so much. He does everything for her. He would take days off uniquely to spend time with her, waking up during the night to fix her a bottle of milk etc… I see on him a perfect father but not a good husband. He doesn’t do any effort to make me feel happy about myself. So finally I start to do the same like him. I say myself why not killing myself to give pleasure to someone who doesn’t care about you. So we can stay days without talking or having sex. Then yesterday we were having a casual talk as usual it turns to be an dispute and he told me that he was disappointed about me, all he was looking for a woman doesn’t appear on me. He added that I was the worse woman he has never met. I have never, never imagined that one day I will hear something so nasty. Now my heart is broken all I have in my mind is to divorce. But the other problem is that my status depends on him. I mean that after divorcing, I will have to leave the US, because I’ll lose the G4 visa. I’m still at school and working at the same time because I’m on my own. I’m financially taking care of myself and my family back home. So I have two choices, stay with him and keep going suffering or divorce and it will be very hard for me to find a job back home because I haven’t finished school yet.
    What do you guys think about my problem.
    There is a chance to get a new visa which will let me finish school and work in US.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 08:59 AM
    Posted twice in 2 different forums - should be combined (probably in Immigration) -
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 01:12 PM
    I'm afraid you don't have many choices. If my understanding is correct, you are G-4 dependent of your husband. If this is correct, you are not allowed to work in US. In long term, you may or may not have problem with many government agencies but as long as you are still on G-4, you're safe.

If you want to divorce him, then you would need to change your status to other type of non-immigrant visas. If you want to go to school, student visa is the choice BUT you're not allowed to work except on campus job 20 hours/week. If you want to work, then you must find a job which the employer is willing to sponsor employment visa for you. This is not so easy.. many grad students on OPT are having hard time finding a job in this economic crisis.

Why not discuss this issue with your husband? Leave hatred and anger behind and think of the child's best interest. If he is a good father, I am sure there is some hope that he will cooperate with your situation.
    inna1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Thanks a lot lawanwadee and JudyKayTee. My G4 is dependent of my husband. After divorce I have 60 or 90 days to leave the country. I can work with G4 but not in some government agencies. By the way, I'm working in a non profit organization in DC and at the same time I'm going to college on evening. As I said it before I'm financially on my onw, I pay my tuition, I take care of myself and my family back home. If I had finished school I'm not going to have problem to find a job back home. So all I need is a way to get a visa that will let me get a job and finish school. Because without a job I can't afford to live here. I depend on my pay check to live. On the other hand I appreciate your advice about fixing the problem. But after all he has told me I can't forget it. It's always in my mind. I really don't see myself living beside that man any more.
    Thanks Again I appreciate your help.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 30, 2008, 11:22 AM
    If you want to stay until you finish school, it's better to stay on G-4. At present, there are more restrictions on F-1 which will give you hard time, especially when you need to work.

Discuss this issue with your husband and tell him you need to remain in status until you finish school. Separation does not effect your visa but divorce does.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relationship between financial decision making and risk and return? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the relationship between financial decision making and risk and return? Would all financial mangers view risk-return trade-offs similarly?:confused:

View more questions Search