Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kernal1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 12:06 PM
    Dog won't eat (had to switch food because of heart disease)
    My 14 year old (13.4 pound) peke refuses to eat or just eats a little per meal. He was diagnosed with heart disease so I had to switch his food to Hill's h/d prescription diet food and then I have tried Hill's k/d prescription diet food.

Some meals (feeding him twice a day - 1/8 of the can mixed with 1/3 cup dry), he will take 2-3 small bites or won't eat at all.

I've tried enhancing the food with garlic powder, ground oregano, karo syrup, crushed freeze dry beef liver, rice, warming it up, adding turkey/chicken broth, adding some of the fresh boiled turkey/chicken to the dog food.

I read that you can take food away after 15-20 minutes and then wait until the next meal and a hungry dog will eventually eat. I'm just worried if this is correct because I don't know how many days a dog can go without eating especially one with heart disease and is now on meds (enacard, lasix,spironolactone, rimadyl).

PLEASE HELP!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2006, 06:20 AM
    HI,
    I am not a Vet, just a dog lover for many years.
    Your Vet would be the best person to ask this question. I would be afraid to suggest anything, since he is on meds.
    It is true that taking up the dog's food, then putting it back down that evening is a good way to let him get hungry enough to eat. I have never known a dog to starve itself to death, when there is available food. But, with your dog's condition, please check with your Vet.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2006, 09:07 PM
    Its apparent your dog just doesn't like this food. Mine didn't either, wouldn't touch it so must have a lot of unappealing things in it that they just won't eat. Ask your vet if you can use a holistic/organic dog food. Nutro Max has one, Merrick has food without chemicals or fillers. You shouldn't have to put that much stuff on something and they won't eat it anyway. Switch to something else as you are starving the dog of nutrition to stick with this Hills since your dog doesn't like it.
    ladyandjan Posts: 191, Reputation: 4

Apr 22, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Also, remember you are dealing with a 90-yr old in human years or close to it that is just a picky as a human would be when it comes to food. And the medicine could alter their taste buds so try other dog food that is organic and healthy, not filled with chemicals and grains.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2006, 04:49 AM
    HI,
    Also, check with your Vet about exercise. If some light walking, say 30 minutes a day on a leash won't hurt the dog, then it's more likely to be hungry after doing a little exercise. But first, please check with the Vet about the exercise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Chromes Disease [ 14 Answers ]

Can anyone give me some information about Chromes disease? What organs does it attack? Does it attack any bones? What does it do?

Celiac disease [ 3 Answers ]

I have celiac disease and was wondering if my break outs on my face neck and head are related to the disease its like bumps in clusters and they hurt itch and takes a while to go away. Really annoying due to the fact I stopped wearing makeup like 3 years ago now back to putting concealer on because...

Exercises and heart disease [ 3 Answers ]

I think I have problems with my heart because I have chest pains and left arm pains too,also arythmic beats of the heart.but I love bodybuilding and I am a beginner in it ,do 45 minutes including 15 minutes warm-up harm my heart more.my barbell is 40 kg and my dummbell 8 kg

Lung Disease [ 4 Answers ]

I first had a collapsed lung back in l999. About a month ago, I ate lunch consisting of cottage cheese and yogurt and not long thereafter fell asleep. I awoke with severe wheezing and wondered if I would ever be able to catch my breath. I felt as if I were having an asthmatic attack. Can anyone...

Addison's Disease [ 2 Answers ]

This isn't really a question but more of a informational statement. I posted earlier about my dog not eating (see what's wrong with my dog). I have a 6 year old lab that just stopped eating one day. Long story short, I took her to the vet, she was diagnosed with a blockage, we thought she had...

View more questions Search