Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jipped Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
    commission pay
    I am a 1099 insurance agent whom my employer is with holding my pay for a bogus reason. Can I take her to small claims over my commission? I am paid 2 x;s a month so can I do this over and over again?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 08:28 PM
    What are they with holding it for ? I would assume as soon as you sue them, they would cancell your contract anyway. So I doubt it will be a issue honestly. But if they don't, if you win, normally that should clear the issue.

If you will explain the issue, do you have a withholding fund to cover charge backs, are you paying back advanced commissions?
    In the end you should have a contract with the company, that says what they can deduct and what they can not.

I know on my companies, they will withhold advertising and keep a percentage back for future charge backs, since they are paying a advanced commission, not as paid

Jul 28, 2008, 08:36 PM
    I have no contract, and received a collections notice at work that the principle opened and read and wants it "cleared" up before she allows me back in the office! I know that's another issue... but mean while I have NO income. I do not get advanced commissions only paid on what comes in from companies, usually 2-5 months behind I have been there 9 years and my commission checks are between 3-7K per month

Jul 28, 2008, 08:42 PM
    I am in a VERY specialized market with a 98% retention, I handel about 95% of my own accounts with CSR's only doing computer input. She is at a HUGE disavantage right now with out me, but that's her problem mine is income...
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2008, 07:40 AM
    So she's not withholding your pay, just not letting you work? Or was the collections notice a request to garnish your wages?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2008, 08:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jipped
    I ... recieved a collections notice at work that the principle opened and read and wants it "cleared" up before she allows me back in the office !!
    She opened mail addressed directly to you? Does she not realize that violated federal law? Yes you can sue her for commissions owed to you. Your personal financial status has no bearing on the commissions.

Jul 29, 2008, 08:29 AM
    The mail was to me C/O her agency,no garnishment, and yes she is withholding my pay. I was suppose to be paid (commission) on the 1st and the 15th as I have been for the last 9 years. On the 17th she told me she was changing pay period to the 30th... jsut a nother control thing, meanwhile I have NO income. I know I can move book, I know I can sue, I am looking for information on all of this from anyone who has had similar situation! Thank You all VERY much!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 29, 2008, 08:45 AM
    She has the right to change the pay schedule, but not without some notice.

Jul 30, 2008, 07:09 PM
    All of your answers helped!! Thank You for your time..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commission Expense [ 1 Answers ]

We have a complex commission plan. Our commissions for installation are paid 50% up front and 50% when the job is complete. We have 3 year maintenance contracts for which commissions are paid up front. Should we be expensing all of the commissions up front for installations and spreading the...

Commission pay [ 2 Answers ]

Can expenses reduce commission pay?

Employee commission law [ 1 Answers ]

Can a plumbing company that pays their employee/plumbers on a commission scall of 28% of a total job less parts, fire the employee for not bringing in over $30,000 a month. The company just yesterday implemented a new program that states any employee who sells less than $29.999 three months in a...

Sales Commission [ 2 Answers ]

A friend of mine co-signed on a mobile home in Texas and got burnt. She had to let them repossess it and they sold it immediate. The difference in the obligation and the sale was only $2,750.52 but Vanderbilt Mortgage and Finance Inc. sent her a notice for $9,500. $3,000 was for commission to...

Tax on Affiliate Commission [ 3 Answers ]

I am an Indian citizen living in India and earning through Affiliate Marketing. I want to know about payment made to me through Clickbank towards Affiliate Commission. What are the formalities so that no part of my commission income is withheld by the IRS ? Clickbank is asking for W-8BEN....

View more questions Search