Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andyhaus1057 Posts: 98, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 06:52 PM
    Improving as a student
    Hello,
    I'm starting school in August and I want to be able to learn how to be a better student... I want to improve my skills. I just have a few questions concerning that.

1) How can I become better at avoiding or eliminating distractions?

2) How can I be successful with time management techniques?

3) How can I become better at planning, organizing, and prioritizing?

4) Is there a secret to becoming more achievement motivated?

5) Lastly, my reading comprehension isn't the greatest. How can I improve my reading comprehension?
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jul 29, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhaus1057
    Hello,
    I'm starting school in August and I want to be able to learn how to be a better student... I want to improve my skills. I just have a few questions concerning that.

1) How can I become better at avoiding or eliminating distractions?

2) How can I be successful with time management techniques?

3) How can I become better at planning, organizing, and prioritizing?

4) Is there a secret to becoming more achievement motivated?

5) Lastly, my reading comprehension isn't the greatest. How can I improve my reading comprehension?
    Andyhaus -

First off, let me just say WOW!. Borders or Barnes and Noble would have a field day with you, bud... there are entire shelves of books in these stores that are dedicated to attempting to answer these kinds of questions so I'm not going to try to erase pages of material already written on these subjects.

Let me just ask you a question. Do you really know what you want out of your education? What is it that you are interested in doing with your life? That might be why the answer to the questions you asked seems to escape you presently. Maybe you're just uninspired at the moment but you realize that you want to improve in your focus and your commitment to learning. Perhaps, you're just not motivated enough by anything you are currently doing to actually put your mind and heart to do what you have to do.

Let me give you an example. In college, I had a real hard time with a few courses I took: Anthropology was one as well as a couple of others. I had a 3.0, which by some minds is still a good GPA but by my standards, it was not reflective of the commitment I really wanted to make. However, I then changed my major and started taking classes that were in line with my interests and I became highly interested in studying and learning and my focus was there. My GPA improved and my final GPA was a 3.5 overall but in my major it was a 3.9.

I'd say that you might just start by thinking about what you like and what you are interested in. Why is it that you are having a hard time focusing and prioritizing your work? Is it that you are distracted because you find what you are studying boring? I don't know the answers to those questions but you do... maybe you just need to take a few minutes to be reflective and think about where you are in your life and what it is you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
    MaGiC_DaN90 Posts: 30, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2008, 08:47 PM
    1. You can become better at avoiding distractions by (I don't mean this in a mocking/offensive way but... ) ignoring them! I admit, I AM the distraction at times in class, and the best thing to do to avoid being distracted by people or interesting things, is to ignore them as best you can!

2. Find a management technique you are good at and keep working at it!

3. Not so sure about planning and all that, seeing that I too need work on that, SORRY!

4. To become more achievement motivated, know EXACTLY what you WANT and GO for it as HARD AS YOU CAN!

5. I'm still in High School, but my reading comp. is college level, my secret: read.
    Read and read, read so much you have words coming out of your eyes! The more you read the better you will get, trust me, I know, that's how I got so good!

HOPE THIS HELPS!
    llamb Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Jul 31, 2008, 09:38 PM
    Reading comp: If it is your book, highlight meaningful phrases. When you finish a chapter, sum it up in a few sentences. TAKE NOTES. If it's not your book: STICKY NOTES. Sticky notes EVERYWHERE.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

Improving this Memo [ 5 Answers ]

To: All Employees From: B.J. Blackwell Date: February 3rd 2006 Re: Parking Violations Parking violations have worsened and on behalf of management a memo was prepared to take action to prevent the problem. The main issue is individuals parking in the wrong zones including visitors’ zones...

Improving my grass [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Indianapolis, In and it is February now. I have a lawn that used to be a horse pasture and it has a mixture of many kinds of weeds and grasses along with real grass of unknown kind. I want to know how to improve my grass growth and reduce my weeds and other grasses. What can I do in...

View more questions Search