Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Librac23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Jul 28, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Father confused
    Greetings to all,

My name is David, I'm new to this site.

I have a very interesting question, hopefully some of you can help me with.

First off, I was involved with this woman from Iowa, I reside in Northwestern Wisconsin.
    She was married at the time we were together, and currently still is.

She left everything that she knew down there in Iowa to be with me, including (@ the time) her 2 yr old Daughter. She moved up here, and was here with me until 2 days before Fathers' Day. She went back to him. This was only after she received Divorce papers.

She's also pregnant with my child. What can I do? She is so adamant about me relinquishing my rights to this child as a parent. I am refusing to do so. I don't know the Laws about children in Iowa, but I am learning about them for my state in Wisconsin.

What she is planning is having her husband and herself raise this child as their own and trying to cut me out from ever having any contact with my child.

I want to establish Paternity, how do I do this? I've heard that if I make a petition in WI, it will get "filtered" down to the other courts as well. Not entirely sure about that. I know where she lives, I know what county she is in, her P.O. Box, street address everything.

What can I do?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 04:52 PM
    You petition the judge to order a DNA test as soon as the baby is born. If you know where she lives then try to find a lawyer in that area as soon as you can so that everything will be in order when the baby is born (paperwork wise because you can't do anything till he/she is born).

Jul 28, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stinawords
    You petition the judge to order a DNA test as soon as the baby is born. If you know where she lives then try to find a lawyer in that area as soon as you can so that everything will be in order when the baby is born (paperwork wise because you can't do anything till he/she is born).

Thanks that gives me a bit of time since the child won't be born till January 5-6th.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 06:10 PM
    You need to get in touch with a faily law lawyer from the state she resides in. In some states if a child is born to a married couple then the presumed father is the husband. In that case you would be out of the loop.

Your at a level of mess making that your going to need an expert. Also maybe do a judgement check somewhere along the way because messing with a married woman isn't a bright thing to do.

Jul 28, 2008, 06:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Librac23
    Also maybe do a judgement check somewhere along the way because messing with a married woman isnt a bright thing to do.
    I thank you for the info, but I didn't need the extra 2cents
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2008, 06:15 PM
    As noted, you need to file a petition for custody as soon as the child is born. The judge will then order a paternity test to verify your claim. If the test is positve then you will be listed on the because and be awarded joint custody. You can then file for visitation, they will file for child support. As the child gets older you increase your visitation.

Jul 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
    Thanks Scott,

I appreciate the help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2008, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Librac23
    I thank you for the info, but I didnt need the extra 2cents
    Sorry but when you post on a site like this you sometimes get the lecture along with the help.
    jlferreira83 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 10:01 PM
    To hurry court procedures you need to look into an EX Parte, also seek advise as to what state you should file any court paper work... one party will have to do the traveling. I don't know if it matters before the child is born.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2008, 05:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlferreira83
    To hurry up court procedures you need to look into an EX Parte, also seek advise as to what state you should file any court paper work...one party will have to do the traveling. I don't know if it matters before the child is born.

This is legally incorrect - any action for custody/support/paternity must be brought in the State where the mother - and child - are residents.

Nothing can be done before the child is born - how would anyone determine paternity with an unborn child? No such safe test exists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support from unwilling father, uninvolved father [ 26 Answers ]

I am currently pregnant with my first child. The father is not involved. What rights does the baby have to collect child support from him? Is it ethical to force financial child support, when he does not want to be involved? Yet, he has said that he will provide support. He says that and then...

Pregnant confused about what to do about father [ 18 Answers ]

So I am 6 months pregnant. I live with my parents because they asked me to stay with them to get away from my baby's father for a few months until I found a place to live. The reason my parents wanted me out of his house was that he has a drinking problem and one night he head butted me in the nose...

Father abandoned daughter one and a half years ago and step father wants to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a question. My daughters father completely stopped contact with my daughter a year and a half ago. We were separated for eight years, Since then I have remarried and gone on with my life. He suddenly stopped all contact with her a year and a half ago, stopped child support about three...

Confused what to do about my baby's father [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 8 months and 1 week pregnant and my boyfriend decides he's moving out to be with his friends I want to know if I have to give the baby his last name and does his name have to be on the birthcertificate because I want to give the baby my name for all the stress he has put me through I live in...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search