Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nick Hachey Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2008, 02:46 PM
    Moen cartridge- bad leak from shower head
    I have a Moen in my shower and a spout with a diverter. When I run the water with the diverter open, there is still a lot of water coming from the shower head. The only thing I can think of is that the water pressure is so strong that the water just gradually builds up and comes out of the head.? Or should I just go and buy a new cartridge and see what happens? Ive been in maintenance for years now and this one has me stumped...

Any suggestions would be great Thanks
    Lori Spo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hachey
    I have a Moen in my shower and a spout with a diverter. When I run the water with the diverter open, there is still a lot of water coming from the shower head. The only thing I can think of is that the water pressure is so strong that the water just gradually builds up and comes out of the head.?? or should i just go and buy a new cartridge and see what happens? Ive been in maintenance for years now and this one has me stumped...

Any suggestions would be great Thanks
    If you call MOen they will send out FREE cartridge. They warranty them lifetime. You just need the special tool to remove and replace the cartridge.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 03:00 PM
    It could be;

Water pressure too high,
    Restriction in pipe between the valve and the tub spout,
    Or defective diverter in tub spout.

Is your water pressure very high?
    Do you know what your water pressure is?
    Do you have a pressure regulating valve?

Most likely diverter in tub spout. Replace.

Two types, one screws on and one held on with set screw.
    Attached Images

Jul 28, 2008, 04:15 PM
    OK... I pulled the spout to free up some more room for it to flow better and it did help, a lot. Its still leaking a little bit but at least I know for sure that it's the pressure. I'll just close the shut offs a tiny bit to slow it down a little and it should be fine. Thanks for the help and the quick response. This site is great
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 04:25 PM
    Nick:

Don't shut the valves down... that won't really help here.. ok? It may reduce the volume a bit and that could be helpful.. but it won't reduce the pressure. Basically, if diverter at tub spout works properly shouldn't have this issue.

I think you may be better to simply replace the tub spout with diverter as Hkstroud suggested.

Let us know what you think...

MARK

Jul 28, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hachey
    ok ... I pulled the spout to free up some more room for it to flow better and it did help, a lot.
    What does that mean?

Does it mean that you pulled the spout away from the tub some?

Jul 28, 2008, 04:59 PM
    I completely took off the spout, so that there was just the copper pipe shooting the water to the back of the tub... it helped a little bit with the water coming out of the shower head. BUT its still coming out. It seems like the water can't come out fast enough so it gradually climbs up to the shower head and leaks out... actually I know that's what is happening but I don't know why ****** when running the tub it comes out a little slow but when I use the diverter for the shower head, it comes out like a bat out of hell that seems really weird should I change cartridge because of that?? I've been doing basic plumbing for years but this is a first for me
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 05:16 PM
    NIck.. the cartridge has nothing to do with diverting water from the tub spout to the shower head... So this one is baffling as presented!

Maybe a good idea to purchase a pressure gauge at a local home supplier.. see picture below. This type gauge screws onto an outside faucet and just need to turn outside faucet on and take reading.

If pressure exceeds 80 PSI then you may need to install a pressure regulating valve (see second picture). This would not only help with this issue but also can help to reduce overall wear and tear on all parts of the plumbing system!

But this is only a thought for you. Odd to find that pulling tub spout rersults in water out shower head...

Let us know what you think...

Mark
    Attached Images

Jul 28, 2008, 05:34 PM
    It just seems like there is something restricting the water flow to the tub and the excess water climbs to the shower head and out it comes. Im just as puzzled... its definitely not anywhere near 80 psi, maybe 50 psi. It should be at around 40 right? Now I know why I always liked Symmons...

Thanks so much for all your help guys any more ideas let me know, thanks again
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Nick
    Please listen to all the experts, and follow theirs advices,
    How do you know that the pressure is not near 80 PSI you can't tell by looking at the water flow or touch the water, you need the gauge as Mark posted, once you check the pressure and it is OK 40-60 PSI then some one will tell you what to do next, Thanks.

John

Jul 28, 2008, 06:36 PM
    OK, if you are sure that your pressure is not up there in the high range.
    Remove the cartridge, look for anything blocking the port to the tub spout.
    Take a piece of wire, some 12 gauge electric wire should do, see if you can get it started down the tub spout port and push down to elbow. Then push in from spout pipe to elbow. Twist the wire around as you push and scratch around. There may be a piece of solder in there that has moved and creating a partial blockage. If there is, it will probably be at the ell. Reinstall cartridge and flush. If you have access from back side you may have to unsolder ell and make sure pipe is clear.

Edit.
    Push wire in from tub spout pipe first. If there is solder in the ell you might dislodge it from there.

Jul 29, 2008, 06:20 PM
    OK I'll try that so far that makes the most sense. I'll try it tomorrow, I have to grab the Moen puller from work anyway. Thanks so much for all your help Harold, much appreciated... I'll get back to you after I try it thanks again
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2008, 07:37 PM
    Yes, good thinking, lots of pressure will overpower diverter and water will rise to the shower head by itself.
    jbrashears Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 5, 2013, 09:45 AM
    Just installed a Moen yesterday with the same problem, when you turn on the faucet the shower head comes on about half speed... slows down if I run just hot water. Water pressure would make sense... though it wasn't a problem with old shower/faucet combo and there was no PRV on that setup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moen Shower Head - flow much too restrictive [ 3 Answers ]

Moen Castleby T2377CP Shower Trim The new shower head is restricting flow. Before I start prying, what I see is this: Just below the threads there is a green "ring" with a center slotted green circular piece and then below that there is the black plastic piece with the holes. Is this...

Increasing the water flow of a Moen shower head [ 5 Answers ]

I have just installed new bathroom fixtures, Moen brand. I have tried to increase the pressure of the shower head. I have taken out the O ring in the top and I have unscrewed the face of the head. I have not been able to remove the head or remove the plastic in the neck. I don't want to break it...

Moen: water always coming from shower head when faucet is on. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I just installed a moen l82839 shower/tub assembly. The problem I am having is that when I turn on the water, just to the tub, water comes from the shower head. The knob that turns on the shower head on the faucet is down, noting is leaking otherwise. I don't know what's wrong. Its like there...

How to remove moen handle cartridge from shower fauct? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I've got a ten year old Moen Two Handle Tub & Shower Faucet. I've developed a leak, is there a way to remove the 1224 type stem from the faucet? I was able to remove most of the assembly and I can see the stem; but, it's recessed into the flange nipple. The flange nibble appears to...

MOEN shower head and control valves [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had the upstairs bathroom updated with new Moem controls and shower head. The shower head water does not have the same force as before. I removed the shower head and installed another shower head with the same results. I can see the water restrictor in the Moem shower head, my...

View more questions Search