Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Probatehelp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Partial Inheritance
    I am the personal rep for my fathers estate. I heard that I can make an early partial distribution of inheritance as long as I have it documented and obtain reciepts from the beneficiaries. It would amount to half of the estimated estate value. The balance would come with the sale of the house whenever that happens. Is this legal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Each state in the United States has different probate laws, First are you the administer of the estate and are you apointed by the will, or by the probate court.

Also what is the size of the estate, if over certain amounts, it will have to go thoiugh probate court to have things distributed.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Hi,
    I highly suggest getting a Lawyer, one with some experience with Estates, and Executors of Estates, and find out what to do from a Professional.
    I am not a lawyer, nor a Professional in Estates.
    You may have to file for a Federal Tax ID before doing anything. You also might want to consider seeing a CPA for more information on how to proceed.
    I do wish you the best, and hope there is a Last Will and Testament, to guide you with dispersements, which a Lawyer can explain.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2006, 05:57 AM
    The only reason you MIGHT have to get a Tax ID is if you have to setup bank accounts to handle disbursements. The probate court judge will make that determination. A CPA might help with the tax consequences of the disbursements.

Not all wills have to be probated, and, if half the estate is represented by a home sale, the size of the estate may not be that large.

But, your best bet is to consult an Estate Attorney in your area. If the will was submitted for probate, you probably have one. At the very least the probate court may have an info line or pamphlets that will help you deal with your local statutes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where's the partial clog? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, we're having a problem with a partial clog. When the washing machine empties, the back master bathroom toilet bubbles violently and we smell sewer gasses. There is a hall bathroom which is next to the laundry room, and that toilet's water will only waver and not bubble. However, most of the...

Regarding H1B and Taxes for partial of 2005 [ 6 Answers ]

Hey Atlanta Tax Expert, I have gone through all of your expert advises, I found that, you are giving great suggestions to all of the member. Basically, I have H1B for 2005. I came to USA for the first time in October 4th 2005. Since then I am working with the same company. At the end of 2005,...

Partial or implants [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a lot of dental work done from neglecting dental appointments. My work is all done except for 3 missing bottom molars. For implants and crown, It will cost me around 7000.00. Or for around 2500.00, I could get a bottom partial with 2 back molars on one side, and one back molar on...

Partial income statement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a quick question: When preparing a partial income statement for the given company showing the calculation of net sales and cost of goods sold, do all of the following go into it? Inventory 2,841,300 Purchase discounts 376,800 Purchase Returns and allowances 1,322,000 Purchases ...

Insert only Partial Gridlines on Sheet [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to insert partial gridlines in EXCEL. I have a part on the sheet that has a few rows of numbers so I want to insert gridlines in just that area.

View more questions Search