Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eyatnovyart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 03:32 AM
    Losing your home to foreclosures
    My landlord is basically sending somebody else to do her job.I haven't spoke with her in 2 months she sending her friend to pick up the rent on the 26th of the month & he's trying to get over because he tried to tell me I was short but when I argued him down that I wasn't he saaid I would have to pay it back the following month. The 30th came he's back on my phone like it's the 5th which is usually the day I pay my rent I told him I would be paying on the 5th at the same bank I met my landlord at for the last 7 months,so he told me she wouldn't be able to make it.So I left a check at the house but he called & said he could only take cash.So I wouldn't cause any problems to her I met him & paid my rent,but not the 40 he swore I was short on the month before.Still I haven't heard from her I sent A certified letter to her last address but still I haven't got no reply.So I went down to the public records & found out my house is in foreclosure & 2 others of hers.This is the second in a row that Ive been caught up in the last foreclosure I didn't know my rights & I ended up homeless with my kids for 6 weeks so when I moved here I made sure to ask if she was all caught up on everything.So I need to know what I should do because Im hearing so many different things.My aunt is a home owner & she's telling me to keep my money until the bank contacts me,or take the money & move. I want to do the right thing.But I can't afford to take anymore losses.I have my kids depending on me to keep them with a roof over their heads.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 03:46 AM
    You have to pay rent, yes, but if the home is in foreclosure the bank should be starting proceeding and will contact you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2008, 07:24 AM
    First, where do you live (general area)? Laws vary from locality to locality.

Second, Do you have a lease in effect? When does it expire?

Generally, as long as a lease is in effect and the property hasn't officially changed hands, then you are required to pay your rent. I would NOT pay by anything less than Check or money order. If they insist on cash, then you insist on a receipt.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 09:21 AM
    Also, do you have a written lease? Most leases specify when, where and to whom you are to pay the rent. I wouldn't hand over money (esp NOT cash) to some mystery man unless your lease says you are to do so.

Whatever your agreement was originally with your landlord for rent payment. I'd stick to that until she sends you an official, written notice of a change. At this point, how do you even know the rent is getting to her - never mind that it's obviously not making it to the mortgage holder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Researching pre-foreclosures & tax lien foreclosures sales [ 3 Answers ]

How do I research a pre-foreclosure, notice of defaults or tax lien foreclosures at the county courthouse? And how do I know if there is going to be a tax lien foreclosure sale on a certain property? I went to the courthouse to do research, and they sent me to the register of deeds to do my...

Foreclosures and 1099-c [ 1 Answers ]

How hard does IRS comes down on collecting the taxes on 1099-c after a foreclosures? Do they give you any breakes?

Purchasing Foreclosures [ 2 Answers ]

Looking to buy foreclosures with 30k. Need to know where I can get a list of auctions or individual forclosures besides purchasing a web site membership. Also can I finance or do I need to have the entire amount up front?

View more questions Search