Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    redspeedster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 05:26 PM
    I'm thinking of going into house painting, I've done a little yrs ago on the side. What is the cost of being licenced and insured and bonded? I live in the detroit area. What is involved in getting started?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 04:46 AM
    You would need to check with your city officials as to whether you will need to be licensed and bonded. Being bonded might make you look better for advertising purposes, but I've never had a customer ask me if I was bonded, even with all of the services that I do provide for people where I am located. You will definitely need at least liability insurance, though. My liability insurance for my painting business costs me about $430.00 per year. But, what it costs will depend on where you will be doing most of your work and whether it is inside or outside painting. The painting I do is mostly done on the interior of residences.

You might also want to have a look at the answer that I gave on the following link in order to be the most helpful to you.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/interi...et-240377.html

The answer that I gave on that link is quoted below.

The price per square foot would greatly depend on the location where you will be doing the painting, the conditions of the surface areas to be painted as well as the surface texture of the areas to be painted as well as the method as to how the paint will be applied. So, it would be helpful to have more information from you in those regards.

If you are going to be moving a lot of furniture, as well as doing some prep work, presumably being cleaning, patching and repairs, then you would add more to your price outside of what you would be charging per square foot. Those sort of things would be stipulated in the Contract which you would provide to the Customer.

To be successful at being a painting contractor, you will need, at the minimum, a business plan, at least liability insurance specific to painters, and Contract(s) specific and detailed as to what you will be doing for the Customer as well as the Customer's responsibilities according to that which is spelled out in the Contract(s).

Those would be just a few of the things that you will need to cover as far as what you might need...

There are many that will go around saying that they are painters without really knowing what is involved in the business. It is an art, science, salesmanship and public relations venture rolled into one.

Enough from me...

Please provide some additional information so that we can help you the best here!

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 01:49 PM
    Old and now archived thread.

Please don't use this site for advertising.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to bid on painting the interior of a house [ 1 Answers ]

I've been asked to primer,paint,and stain and varnish the interior walls and trim of a new Constructed house.It is 5300 sq.feet.How much should I charge.I live in Eastern Ky.

House painting vs insulation [ 1 Answers ]

What questions should I ask in regard to: Painting over cedar shake shingles and blow in insulation Or Putting vinyl siding directly over shingles vs taken shingles off

Painting my house [ 2 Answers ]

I plan on painting the exterior of my house this summer, again. I have had trouble getting the paint to adhere to the cedar siding. It bubbles and peels quickly even though I prepare the siding by sanding and applying exterior primer. Is there something else I should do or is there a type of paint...

Painting my house [ 1 Answers ]

Plan to paint my house this summer, but have not been successful in finding a paint that will last on the cedar siding. Bubbles and peels quickly. Is there a paint that will adhere to this siding?

View more questions Search