Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thesisko Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 10:09 PM
    Wire placement in ceilling fan
    I just installed a new Hunter ceiling fan and had a question about acceptable wire placement. The manual says to push all wires up into the outlet box, but it's a pretty tight space. I put the ground wire and the white wires into the outlet, but for the time being I left the black wires in the canopy area. I was wondering if that could cause any problems, or would I be better trying to jam the black wires up into the box with the others?
    wally1937 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 03:47 AM
    As long as you have good tight connections with wire nuts, "stuffing" them into the box should be OK. Sometimes I will wrap the wire nuts with electrical tape to make sure they don't come apart before stuffing, in such a situation. Leaving the black wire in the canopy area is OK too if it is not exposed
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 05:12 AM
    In cases like this the canopy area is considered the same as the box.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:18 PM
    I leave them in the canopy in these situations, but tucked up near the box so that if anything moves around they are not affected.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceilling fan [ 3 Answers ]

I had replaced pull-chain switch on the Hampton Bay celling fan,that had pull-chain broken off, not realizing that this fan is remote controlled. So I wired black wire from switch to black wire that was coming down from fan and the other black wire from pull chain switch to white wire.It tripped...

Can an attic access door in the ceilling be sucked open? [ 3 Answers ]

We have an access door to our attic in the master bedroom closet. We found the panel lifted at an angle about 2 inches. It is far to high for our children to reach, and neither my husband or I pushed on it from below. I was wondering if the air in the attic could suck the panel door up? When my...

Hanging ceilling fan from vaulted ceiling [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 21 foot ceiling and I want to replace a ceiling fan. I have several questions: 1) the ceilling fan I purchased was from Home Depot, Hampton Bay, 52" Pointe Vecchio model # AC434-WB and in the specifications is says maximum hanging height is 12 feet. What does this mean? Is it 12 feet...

Hampton bay ceilling fan w/ remote and attached lighs [ 2 Answers ]

Ok. I installed a new ceilling fan today. There are three wires coming out of the ceilling. I live in a new apt. and there was just a plate up there. No light before. So the three wires are a black a white and a bare copper wire. The fan has 3 wires coming out of it and I attached them to the...

Speed of ceilling fans [ 3 Answers ]

I have two harbor breeze fans on the ceilling of my porch, one runs faster than the other. Both are on high speed,with a single pole switch to turn them on.why is one faster?

View more questions Search