Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timandnanc Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 01:20 PM
    When is it safe to bring young puppies around other dogs ?
    When is it safe to bring young puppies around other dogs? I have 5, 7 week old puppies they have had their first shots by a vet. But I want to make sure before we go out that they are not in any danger of contracting any diseases.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by timandnanc
    when is it safe to bring young puppies around other dogs? I have 5, 7 week old puppies they have had their first shots by a vet. but I want to make sure before we go out that they are not in any danger of contracting any diseases.

Have they had parvo shots?

Jul 27, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Yes they have had parvo corona and distemper
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 02:47 PM
    For me personally I would wait until they've had all their shots, just to be sure. But I think it depends on where you are going. Off leash area, with other dogs you don't know, I don't think that's a good idea. To a friends house, who has a dog that you know has all it's shots and is healthy, then I'd say okay. It depends. Talk to your vet and see what he/she says.

Good luck.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 05:07 AM
    I know what you mean in asking this question because I've been worried about this, too. It's' not easy to balance socializing the puppy and protecting it from serious diseases. It's also important that their early experiences with other dogs is positive. With pups as young as yours, make sure to take extra care during the fear period (usually around 7 or 8 weeks!).

We have a puppy just under 3 months old, and he still has to get his last round of shots. We live in a city, and locking the puppy up in the house until he is 3 and a half months old is not an option. He uses our large courtyard garden for most of his outside play and doing his business, but we will take him for little walks, too. Here's how we've been doing it. He is kept on a short leash, and we will only walk in clean areas. There are a lot of lovely dogs around here, but before we will consider letting him say hello, we assess the situation and ask questions. If the dog and the owner look very well cared for, we smile and ask very lightly and quickly, "how is your dog with other dogs? how is he with little puppies? is he vaccinated? our puppy still has to finish his vaccines." I've found that everyone has been very friendly about it. Who isn't when there's a cute puppy around? Socialize them, but be smart about it.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 06:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg
    For me personally I would wait until they've had all their shots, just to be sure. But I think it depends on where you are going. Off leash area, with other dogs you don't know, I don't think that's a good idea. To a friends house, who has a dog that you know has all it's shots and is healthy, then I'd say okay. It depends. Talk to your vet and see what he/she says.

Good luck.

I worked in animal rescue (mostly German Shepherds) for a number of years and still occasionally foster a dog - my biggest fear for the health of my dogs is the Vet's office. Some dogs are there for boosters but many of them are sick and dogs with parvo don't exhibit symptoms for some time (and some dogs develop a sub-parvo form, sort of "chronic parvo" and never exhibit any symptoms) and the virus is carried on people's shoes so the Vet's office can be a dangerous place for dogs. No choice, of course.

The group I work with recommends that up until 4 or 5 months dogs be introduced to/socialized with dogs of the same size and age so that they don't have a bad experience, don't get frightened or injured.

I'm also not comfortable with dog parks although I know people take their dogs to them and have wonderful experiences.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 07:16 AM
    Yes, judy made an important point! The vet's office can be a dangerous place for young pups. Our breeder gave us a suggestion, and we followed it. Two of us went to take the pup for his shots. My boyfriend announced our arrival and waited in the waiting room, and I kept the puppy in my arms outside of the vet's office. He was never placed on the floor, and then I carried him out to the car. I didn't even want him touching the street outside. Better safe than sorry.
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 12:31 PM
    I have a friend who's a vet and he actually teaches people how to administer the shots at home, he sells the vaccines at a discount and you just pick them up then vaccinate your dog in the comfort of your own home.

Unfortunately this is not for puppies, the first year there are tests that need to be done and many vaccines, so he will not provide those vaccines for at home use unless the dog has had all his puppy shots and test. He does go to peoples homes to administer shots too.

Something to check in to if you are fearful of the vet clinic.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:03 PM
    JUDY KAY TEE - Please go to Water in basement comeing through walls, Post by 9 Antipode12, Thanks (F.B.E.) Your expertise is needed
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I have a friend who's a vet and he actually teaches people how to administer the shots at home, he sells the vaccines at a discount and you just pick them up then vaccinate your dog in the comfort of your own home.

Unfortunately this is not for puppies, the first year there are tests that need to be done and many vaccines, so he will not provide those vaccines for at home use unless the dog has had all his puppy shots and test. He does go to peoples homes to administer shots too.

Something to check in to if you are fearful of the vet clinic.

Good idea but my dogs are older now so I don't worry.

Beside, if they don't go to the Vet twice a year for check ups what am I going to threaten them with if they don't behave? ("Do that one more time and I'm calling Dr. Stein.")
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    JUDY KAY TEE - Please go to Water in basement comeing thru walls, Post by 9 Antipode12, Thanks (F.B.E.) Your expertise is needed

Securing my bat cape and flying off to see what's going on!
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 03:32 PM
    Judy to the rescue. :)

My dogs are older too, they do dread their yearly visits to the vet, it's not fun getting them inside the office.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 03:56 PM
    Judy to the rescue. :)

My dogs are older too, they do dread their yearly visits to the vet, it's not fun getting them inside the office.

Or, in this case - the non rescue.

Jul 29, 2008, 10:44 AM
    Thank you for helping with my question but your right it is not worth jeopordizing their health right now, as a responsible breeder my first concern is that I give them the best start in life as possible. Thank again for confirming what I thought.
    Nancy
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 29, 2008, 12:10 PM
    Remember when you do decide to start sociallizing your puppy. Let him meet balanced dogs only, whatever he sees in a dog now will make him set in his ways. Letting him be around unbalanced dogs now could cause a fear of all dogs.
    McDina Posts: 26, Reputation: 4

Aug 3, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timandnanc
    when is it safe to bring young puppies around other dogs? I have 5, 7 week old puppies they have had their first shots by a vet. but I want to make sure before we go out that they are not in any danger of contracting any diseases.
    Wait until it's had all it's 4 shots including the rabies just to be safe, and even after make sure you take caution because some times it may even catch the parvo virus...

Aug 3, 2008, 05:55 AM
    Wait until it's had all it's 4 shots including the rabies just to be safe, and even after make sure you take caution because some times it may even catch the parvo virus...
    joanne 1986 Posts: 165, Reputation: 7

Aug 7, 2008, 02:48 PM
    I would wait until they have had all there vaccinations,the vet also advises this all together its 3 weeks inside after the first and second jab then its safe for them to go out on the streets etc..

Aug 14, 2008, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joanne 1986
    i would wait until they have had all there vaccinations,the vet also advises this all together its 3 weeks inside after the first and second jab then its safe for them to go out on the streets etc..

[even though your dog has all it's vaccs. It can still get parvo.. but some dogs are different from others puppies have a slight chance in servival adult dog although they may have the virus their chances in servival are greater, due to Immunity
    cottoncandy Posts: 29, Reputation: 0

Aug 14, 2008, 10:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    Good idea but my dogs are older now so I don't worry.

Beside, if they don't go to the Vet twice a year for check ups what am I going to threaten them with if they don't behave? ("Do that one more time and I'm calling Dr. Stein.")
    JUDY that is really hilarious.
    I have had a problem with older dogs actually being around another dog that has JUST been vaccinated that day for rabies! The other dog suddenly starts exhibiting signs of rage that always scare the cr*p out of me. Are they somehow using live instead of killed vaccine for rabies? Is my vet buying cheapo look alike presciption drugs from overseas? This has happened at least 6 times to me and that's more than a coincidence! It is just too stressful for our family to take all of our assorted animals to the vet on the same day, so we stagger the appointments.:(

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is Advantage safe for small dogs? [ 17 Answers ]

Hello- I am new to the forum and have a quick question. If anyone could provide any insight, I would appreciate it. We had a 3 year old Pomapoo join our family about a month and a half ago, and upon bringing him home discovered that he had a major flea problem. It was so bad that if you parted...

Puppies/Dogs Pooping in their crates [ 10 Answers ]

I have been a dog owner for many years :p and I would like to just ask one question. Why do dog owners continue to tell new dog owners that puppies do not poop in their crate? :mad: Puppies poop where ever they please until you teach them otherwise. They are not trained or born to know not to....

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

The best food for dogs/puppies [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am wondering what is the best food for dogs/puppies. I hear so many opinions but still not sure what to choose... I've heard that the dog food is bad and don't mind to spend time for cooking food for my puppy (chocolate lab). Please advise. Thanks very much, Katya

When should I start feeding my dogs puppies? [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just had puppies on February 6,2007 but when should I start feeding them real puppy food?they are 19 days old.:eek: :eek:

View more questions Search