Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RTodor Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Kitten - urgent advice needed
    Dear All,
    We brought home a stray kitten at the age of 2 weeks. Everything had been all right with him until the time he got about 4 months old. We were about to take him to the vet for the initial vacination when suddenly he started losing hair on his head. There appeared some small verruca like skin formations that he tore together with the hair and soon he was all in open wounds. The vet said it was some sort of parasitic fungi and treated it with Frontline. Unfortunately the medicine failed to help and then we had samples from his hair taken for testing - the hairs and their bulbs proved to be absolutely all right. A lot of tests followed but the only diagnosis we got was stafilococus piodermit (not sure about the correct spelling) and it was soon dismissed by other vets we took the kitten to. Meanwhile he was treated with antibiotics: cephalexin, sulorex, tanzim but there was no constant improvement because the wounds would open again any time we stopped the antibiotic drug. All the vets we have been to so far could not give a definite diagnosis and just shrugged shoulders, some of them even suggested that the kitten should be euthanised.
    The kitten is 10 months old now and is very happy, joyful and playful; he doesn't show any symptoms of being ill - eats, drinks water, does the nature calls :) regularly. The only strange thing is that he seems to be lacking any sense of pain - while we clean his wounds with a propolis solution, which includes spirit and should be an unpleasant experience, he is sitting quietly and tries to play with us.
    Any suggestions that can help cure the kitten ?
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 8, 2006, 06:13 AM
    Dear RTodor'
    My sons cat developed the seme symptoms 2 yrs. Ago. It was treated with steroids, and got better, but the following spring, exactly one year later, it appeared again, therefore the vet. Concluded that it was some kind of allergy, was treated again with steroids, which failed to help. Lab. Tests showed fungi infection, and the cat was treated with some kind of antifungal syrup which helped.
    BUT: this spring all came back, and we're waiting the lab. Tests results again.
    If you think you can get any help from us, I'll ask my son for details. I don't know the name of the drug, but I can ask my son.
    Good luck,
    Millie

Apr 8, 2006, 07:14 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply - it's relieving to know that he can live with that terrible thing. The problem is that he doesn't get the huggs he diserves :) one can't let him stay on their laps - the wounds are open and not a very nice view to look at just under your nose :)
    I'd appreciate if you let me know the medical name of the drug that helped your son's cat. Hopefully it would help our kitten as well. We'll continue the lab. Tests and... some day maybe we'll get a diagnosis and respective treatment
    Thanks again
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 8, 2006, 07:49 AM
    Hi RTodor
    I've asked my daughter in law:
    The name of the syrup is: SPORANOX you can find it through GOOGLE (I looked it up) they told me it's antifungal, quite expensive. Here, in Israel it's NOT over the couter.
    For the whole year the cat was fine, but as I told you , the problem is back now, and they're waiting for more lab. Results. In any case the cat was fine for a year.
    Good luck (and if possible, I'd like to know how is the cat doing)
    Millie

Apr 8, 2006, 09:18 AM
    Hi Millie,
    We'll try and find the syrup here in Bulgaria. In case it's not available we'll get it through the net.
    I'll keep you posted any time there's a change in the kitten's condition.
    My name is Rossie by the way.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need Urgent Advice Please [ 3 Answers ]

I think I've ruined all trust I had with my parents and I don't even think they even like me anymore! I lost all Aims in life and I'm starting my GCSE's in a couple weeks. I had top marks in all tests in year 9. but now I don't think I can be bothered in year 10. Anyway, its because me and a mate...

2week old kitten need advice [ 1 Answers ]

HI I have a 2 week old kitten I been feeding it with kitten replacement milk and my other cat has been cleaning it and keeping it with her she is 2 {NOTFIXED}years old {do I still need to rub its bottom to make it go the bathroom or is her licking enough??:confused: }will the kitten"s trying to...

Urgent Help Needed! [ 1 Answers ]

James Madison wrote the 10th Essay in the Federalist Papers. He detailed information about segments/groups within the population, what were they "specifically called," what are they specifically called now? What is the significance of this Essay? Who gets the most and the least in the United...

View more questions Search