Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Carbo Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 02:45 AM
    New Bathroom, But Tub Drains Slow
    Hi, all. Glad to have found this place as I sure need some answers and help!
    My wife and I decided the old bathroom needed to be renovated. It was about 20 years old and showed it. The old bathroom was a 3/4 unit, with a toilet and shower stall only, no bathtub. We opted to have the it stripped down to the studs and to have a bathtub installed. The result is beautiful: the tile walls and stone floor look great; the new toilet flushes like a thoroughbred. Problem is, however, the new bathtub drains like molasses. When taking a shower the water level in the tub will rise to ankle level and even higher before I am done. If taking a bath, a good ten minutes is required before the tub drains.
    We're concerned, to say the least. Has something gone horribly wrong with the drain move from a shower to a bathtub? Or is there a simpler and less dramatic fix than a major issue beneath our new bathroom? :confused:
    Previously, the old shower drained just fine. There are no other drain issues anywhere else in the house or with the other bathroom.
    Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Hey Carbo,

A couple of things would cause this problem. If you have a trip lever tub waste then the brass plug could be misadjusted to the point where it doesn't open up completely. Some tile grout or mortar could have got down in the line and impeding the flow. What I would do in this case is to remove the trip lever assembly and snake out the drain line. Is this bathroom on a slab or is it a first floor bathroom? This shouldn't be a major problem. You have a partial blockage in your drainage and if you go over a lot of complaints on this page you'll find out you're not alone. Not a big deal so quit worrying. Have you a snake and wish to to the job yourself or do you plan on getting a plumber? One more thing, if tile grout is clogging up the line you mat have to get in a power snake with a cutter tip to break it up and send it on through. Good luck, Tom

Apr 8, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Hi, Tom. Thanks for the reply. Some additional info to help shed some light on the subject. My location is southeast Florida, and the house is a single level on a slab.
    When you refer to a "trip lever tub waste", I'm not sure what you mean. If you're referring to the type of drain, it is the type which screws down or up, depending upon whether you want to close or open the drain. The overflow plate has no trip lever, just two screws to install or remove it.
    My understanding is to properly snake a tub means I access the drain via the overflow. I'm going to give it a try myself in a short bit. Any tips on the right way to do this? Seems straightforward enough to me.
    Hopefully this will be the solution. But let me play devil's advocate for a moment. The snake doesn't work. What's the next step? Calling a plumber to do the same with a power snake and cutting tip as you mentioned?
    Will I be wasting my money by tossing a container of Draino or something similar down the drain?
    Appreciate your assistance. Many thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 07:42 AM
    I am no fan of putting harsh chemicals in your system, especially if you have a septic tank. They only seem to work in TV commercials. You will remove the overflow plate and snake from there. Your snake will drop about 18" and then hit the trap. Crank and work your way around the bend of the trap and you will have a straight run of not over 10 feet of drain to snake. If that don't get it then it's time to call in outside help.I'm familiar with slab houses since I live across the state in Sarasota. Good luck, Tom

Apr 8, 2006, 09:51 AM
    After a solid hour and a half of sweating and mumbling, :mad: , I'm sad to report my progress was minimal.
    Most of that time was trying to get the drain snaked out, but I couldn't seem to get more than about three, maybe three and a half, feet of snake out before I hit something. Trap? The obstruction causing the problem? Damned if I know. I do know I couldn't get past it or through it no matter how long and hard I tried.
    My next effort was to plunge away the problem. That didn't work, either.
    Finally, I poured a pot of boiling water down the drain, but that didn't affect anything. :( Methinks the next step is a plumber with a better knowledge of these things and the dynamite sticks needed to do the job right. :rolleyes:
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo
    After a solid hour and a half of sweating and mumbling, :mad: , I'm sad to report my progress was minimal.
    Most of that time was trying to get the drain snaked out, but I couldn't seem to get more than about three, maybe three and a half, feet of snake out before I hit something. Trap? The obstruction causing the problem? Damned if I know. I do know I couldn't get past it or through it no matter how long and hard I tried.
    My next effort was to plunge away the problem. That didn't work, either.
    Finally, I poured a pot of boiling water down the drain, but that didn't affect anything. :( Methinks the next step is a plumber with a better knowledge of these things and the dynamite sticks needed to do the job right. :rolleyes:
    3 1/2 feet would have got you past the trap and into the blockage. When we work around open pipes we duct tape them or cover them so grout and crud don't go down the drain. This is only good sense. It sounds like you have tile grout in the drain. Time to call in outside help. Good luck, Tom

Apr 8, 2006, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the help, Tom. I'll have to give someone a call on Monday to see if this can be fixed.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbo
    Thanks for the help, Tom. I'll have to give someone a call on Monday to see if this can be fixed.
    If it can't and the plumber brings back tile grout you may have recourse back on the tile man to repair this at no cost to you. Let me know how it turns out. Regards. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet Drains slow [ 24 Answers ]

A few days ago my toilet started draining slow. When I flush, the toilet fills up, and then slowly drains. To get solid matter to go down I have to flush 3-5 times. I first tried a plunger, which did not work. I then tried a closet auger, which did not work. So, I disconnected the toilet and...

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

Bathtub drains slow or not at all [ 9 Answers ]

My bathtub has been slow, very slow, on and off for years. Sometimes drain cleaner helps but most times it doesn't. We actually keep a plunger in the bathroom and my daughter now showers on a step stool! After furiously plunging for hours today I finally searched for the source. I found a drum trap...

Shower Drains Slow/bad smell [ 1 Answers ]

I just remodeled my bathroom. I removed the tub/shower and installed a new shower stall only. The new plumbing is built like this: I removed the tub drain and over-flow pipe just above the p-trap and attached a new 24 inch, 2 inch diameter ABS pipe just above the old p-trap, using an elbow. This...

Whirlpool bath drains slow [ 3 Answers ]

I just moved into a new house and have a new whirlpool bathtub for the first time, but no owner's manual. After a month or so of living, the water is draining slower and I need to clean the hair out of the filter/trap. The drain plug just pushes down to close draining or pushes up to open. I can't...

View more questions Search