Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 05:11 AM
    Splice question lost in another post
    I extracted this question from another post, as it seem to have been ignored, probably because it was off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Stan,

Speaking of pre-twisting wires, do you really need to put them into the cap. Can't they be scotch taped together? :)
    I have to assume scotch taped means to refer to 3M Brand electrical tape.

While electrical tape is allowed to cover splices, just twisting wires is not sufficient if only tape is used. The twisted wires would need to be soldered, or some other means of mechanically holding the wires together.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 05:55 AM
    I would use staples over scotch tape. 3M makes scotch tape which is clear, electrical has color and insulation properties. Wrap your Christmas presents with scotch type tape, any manufacturer.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 06:08 AM
    TK, I can only assume that was a facetious question by Don. See the smiley?

I really do think he meant Scotch tape as in wrapping presents. I usually just twist them with my fingers and use duct tape. The shiny silver is pretty. :p :D
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 06:57 AM
    You know, you may be right.

Sometimes I don't see the forest for the trees.

But, you never know...

Only Don can tell us.

If it was a real question, just did not want that scotch tape hanging out there for others to assume it was OK.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 11:38 AM
    Don will speak on this. I do not hi-jack threads, at least I hope I don't.

If you read the response immediately above my entry, you should realize that this was not a serious reply. I meant scotch tape. It was an absurd answer based on proceeding comments. This thread can be discarded. :)
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 11:42 AM
    Stan:

Don't get any ideas. That Duct or Duck tape is conductive. Saw a few splices made that way complete with the accompaning shocks.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 11:46 AM
    Sorry Don, I did not see it as Stan did. I don't pay attention to the little pictures. Words are hard enough to understand, the little pictures are nothing but riddles to me.

But still was a good question that got brought up, taping wires instead of wirenuts. And who knows how many splices are out there with scotch tape for real?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Frankly it scares me.

At a home we had in Kentucky I was dinking around in the garage. I looked up and saw a black, white and bare set of conductors hanging out of an "Old construction box.

Believe it or not they were hot. The previous owner just left them there!
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 03:41 PM
    Never seen scotch tape, seen PLENTY with duct tape.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wisdom Teeth Post Op Question [ 1 Answers ]

I had my left side extracted 2 days ago. I feel like I've done everything right and even went back to the oral surgeon to make sure, but last night I noticed some blood in my mouth. This morning my teeth had blood all over them. Now, my mouth wasn't dripping blood, it was just on my teeth. Is this...

Where Can I Post This Question Help Please [ 10 Answers ]

I am new here and not familiar as to where to post certain questions, such as the following which I wish I could place in a type of "GENERAL" place, for all to See... in other sites, people would sometimes place them in a section called "TRIVIA" - does this exist on this site? CAN SOMEONE WRITE...

View more questions Search