Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuanngnt Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2008, 12:36 AM
    Cold air comes out from air filter grille hole
    Hi,

I have a problem on my second floor. I have a two floor home and my AC is using honey well zoning system and it has two zones. Zone 1 for downstair and zone 2 is for upstair.
    I have no problem on cold air on first floor; but I have a problem of cold air on 2nd floor.
    I have noticed that the cold air comes out the place where the filter is installed and I thought the air should be sucked in at the place where the filter is installed. When I bought the house in 2004, the cold air in 1st and 2nd floor are coming out very strong; but not any more. I did charge my AC with 4lbs of freon 410 a week ago. About the cold air problem on 2nd floor, the service man said that it might be come from the damper.
    Why the cold air comes out the cold air return grille where the filter is installed. I did not see this happens a few year ago.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 12:55 AM
    It is possible you have a damper problem. If you are knowledgeable in that area fix it if not call for ON SITE service.

4 pounds of 410??

Why?
    What was your superheat?
    What was your subcooling?
    What were your suction and discharge pressures?

Jul 27, 2008, 03:13 PM
    I mean 4lbs of freon type 410 because service man said that the freon is low. The heat should be ok; I have not tried out until December. For the cooling, the cold air comes out weak; it is not like 4 years ago when I bought the house in brand new; but the main concern is why the heck the cold air comes out from the air return duct; that is really funny. It is supposed to suck in the air; not blow out the air in the return air duct.

Jul 27, 2008, 03:38 PM
    Blower running in reverse?

Damper could be stuck.

Jul 27, 2008, 04:35 PM
    hvac1000,

I think may be the damper stuck and I don't think it is due to motor running in reverse because my first floor is still working OK. About the damper, I have three damper; two motorized dampers, one for each zone. The other is the bypass damper, which is non-motorize damper and it is for manul adjusting. I think it could be either the bypass damper or the motorized damper for the 2nd zone. For the bypass damper, I don't think it is broken because it is very simple without electronic; but it is needed to setup or adjust right. Right now, I have a problem adjusting it correctly. It could be incorrect adjusting the bypass damper, it could result from the air blowing out of the return air duct. For the motorized damper on the second zone, I did disconnect one of the wire to free the power so that it is in the open state automatically; but that does not help either. Do you know how to adjust the bypass damper. Mine has a metal rod that has a weight on it. I think when the rod is perdendicular to the duct; that mean the bapass damper is in the closed position. As the manaul said, 1) when the two motorized damper are open, the bypass damper must be closed position and 2) when one of motorized damper is open and the other is closed; then the bypass damper will gradual swing to one of the side. Is this correct. My bypass damper works on #1 but it did not work on number #2. Do you know why? Is there a way to adjust correctly?

Jul 27, 2008, 04:36 PM
    How do I identify my bypass damper or motorized damper not working?

Jul 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
    Watch it see if it is working if not refer to the manual that came with the damper/control assemble. There are way to many damper/control companies that there and no universal way to tell which component is defective without the diagram and a meter.
    Note sometimes there is a manual switch to open the damper or you can disconnect the linkage and then open it up as a temporary cure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Size requirement for grille [ 3 Answers ]

Need an interior grille to cover a fresh air intake in a bedroom. Capacity of fan venting the space is 450 CFM. How can I calculate the amount of open grille area needed to accommodate this?

Pump won't lite after cleaning filter and inner filter [ 1 Answers ]

Filter was complet mush and guk, also in the pump I took out and cleaned the screen , all good now, I primed filter and pump but still would not ignite. Blnk blk blk, after 3 second hold button furnace attempts then must hold for 30 secs to reset from lockout. SO after many attemps, "does it every...

New mains shower, reasonably new Combi-boiler, but hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I've recently had a new bathroom put in, with a mains shower (used to be electric). But now my shower keeps running hot-cold-hot-cold every minute or so. My bath tap and sink tap in the bathroom are running fine, it's just the shower. I was told this shouldn't happen as I have a combi-boiler but...

Very little cold air. Can I remove filter to test? [ 8 Answers ]

We just bought a huge house and moved in last December. I know the heater works (since we had several sub zero days and may $800 heating bills). Now the time has come that we actually need to cool this place off, but appears we are in bad shape. I have set the temp to as low as 60 degrees for a...

View more questions Search