Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Cspanier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 09:23 PM
    Newbie question - installing a flange in basement rough-in
    Got a real newbie question. I'm in the final stages of finishing my basement and am turning my attention to the bathroom. Our house is about 6 years old and we had the builder rough-in a 1/2 bath for us (so venting and stub are already present).

I have the closet flange just about ready to go in, but I'm getting cold feet before I start cutting and cementing, and would appreciate a "sanity check" from you before I go any further.

A little background... the stub is PVC and extends about 6 - 8 inches above the concrete floor. I have purchased one of those flanges with the movable ring around it (two "sliding" slots and four holes around the ring). Further, I'll be installing a laminate flooring that's about 9mm in thickness.

My plan:

Step 1. Drill holes into the concrete and insert tap-cons as the bolts.

Step 2. Using a special flexible saw, trim the stub so it's level with the flooring.

Step 3. Lay down the laminate flooring and trim it so that it butts up close to the stub (drilling holes for the tap-con bolts through the laminate boards).

Step 4. Cement the flange to the now-cut stub.

Step 5. Follow the rest of the toilet installation steps (install wax ring, level toilet, et al).

Now, my questions:

Q1. I think I have to trim down the tap-cons so that I am just able to tighten a nut down onto the flange ring. Is that a correct assumption?

Q2. As I have four holes in the flange ring, do I need to drill/put in four tap-cons, or are the two I'm planning on enough?

Q3. When I'm setting the closet flange, will the ring sit on top of the laminate flooring, or do I want them level (or as level as I can make it since the width of the ring is not quite the same as the flooring)?

Q4. Assuming Q2 has the ring on top, can/should the laminate go right up to the stub? Is there any reason why it shouldn't?

I think that's it. If anyone has any other thoughts or warnings, they'd be appreciated. Otherwise, keep your fingers crossed for me.

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 07:17 AM
    I am not familiar with the type of flange that you describe. Is there a reason you're not using a regular flange, (see image)?

Q1. I think I have to trim down the tap-cons so that I am just able to tighten a nut down onto the flange ring. Is that a correct assumption?

Q2. As I have four holes in the flange ring, do I need to drill/put in four tap-cons, or are the two I'm planning on enough?
    As a rule we don't need to screw down the flange on a cement floor. We have to screw them down on a first or second floor toilet but the cement and gound cover will prevent the flange from pulling up.

Q3. When I'm setting the closet flange, will the ring sit on top of the laminate flooring, or do I want them level (or as level as I can make it since the width of the ring is not quite the same as the flooring)?

Q4. Assuming Q2 has the ring on top, can/should the laminate go right up to the stub? Is there any reason why it shouldn't?

You won't cut the stubup off until all the flooring is down and then the flange will set on top of the finished floor.
    The plumber should have left a styrofoam closet wrapper wrapped around the stub-up. This wrapper leaves a space for the collar of the flange to recess into the cement so that it will set flat against the finished floor. If he didn't then one will have to be chiseled out. You must also leave a space when you install the finished floor.
    Good luck, Tom
    Cspanier Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Wow -- thanks for the quick response Tom.

To answer your questions...

> I am not familiar with the type of flange that you describe. Is there a
    > reason you're not using a regular flange?

The reason I'm using that flange is that I figured it'd be the most "forgiving" if I made a mistake in placing the bolts. I found a picture I can point to online... the only difference is the color of the ring:

However, your answer to my second question, where we don't need to screw into the cement floor, sort of does away with that concern. Thanks :)

> The plumber should have left a styrofoam closet wrapper wrapped around
    > the stub-up. This wrapper leaves a space for the collar of the flange to
    > recess into the cement so that it will set flat against the finished floor. If
    > he didn't then one will have to be chiseled out. You must also leave a
    > space when you install the finished floor.

'Fraid the original plumber left me high & dry on this one. The cement comes all the way up to the stubup.

If I understand correctly, I will need to chisel out some of the concrete floor around the stubup, but only just enough so that the top of the flange will sit flush with the laminate flooring. Is that right? (I had thought that I could simply cut the flooring so it butts up around the stubup.)

Thanks again Tom -- you're saving me a lot of headache on this project!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 9, 2006, 02:38 PM
    'Fraid the original plumber left me high & dry on this one. The cement comes all the way up to the stubup."

That can sometimes look like there's no closet wrapper if the cement slopped over the wrapper. If this is the case all you'll have to do is take a screw driver and hammer and tap it down next to the pipe. If the wrapper's there the screrwdriver will go through the thin layer of cement into the styrofoam. If it isn't there then you must chisel a path around the pipe for the flange to recess into. Do the finished floor before you cut the pipe and set the flange. Don't forget to leave enough space between the finished floor and the pipe to allow the flange to set snug on the floor. Remember to prime all the pvc fittings that will receive PVC cement or you won't get a good joint. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rough in Basement Plumbing Question [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I had my basement roughed in for a shower, toilet and sink. The pipe for the toilet sticks out of the concrete and is 12" from finished wall. There is a 2" PVC pipe behind the toilet that will be located within my framework. I am guessing this is the vent for the toilet and also a wet...

Toilet Flange on rough in [ 2 Answers ]

What all is involved in mounting a toilet flange to rough in on conrete? Thanks in advance!

Basement rough in question, Newbie [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am new to this forum so be gentle. I have read through many of the threads. I have a question on basement rough ins. I purchased a new house and the builder provided rough ins for a bathroom and a wet bar. My question is what I need to hook up. I want to do it myself, not sure if I...

Finishing Basement (Newbie) [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently in the process of finishing my basement. I have done the framing, run the electric and I am in the process of running the plumbing. Next step will be deciding if I can add a couple vents to the area. I admit I do not know much about HVAC. I am in the process of doing my homework...

Tub rough in question in unfinished basement [ 4 Answers ]

I have 2 questions regarding my rough in for the tub in my unfinished basement. My first question regards the p-trap for the tub. This house was built in 2001. Is it common for the p-trap to be put in when they do the rough-in? I don't know whether to add the p-trap. A few pictures: 1st is a...

View more questions Search