Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sohard2c Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 05:00 PM
    I need a Customized work Glove with 4 fingers
    I need a Customized work Glove with 4 fingers on the left one, (3 fingers and a thumb). And well as a padded palm on the right one.

I've been a bit rough on my hands over the years. I've had a table saw rip through the palm of my right hand resulting in nerve damage to my little finger and the adjoining finger & limited muscle strength in my thumb. I can apply about 3 to 4 pounds of pressure to hold things with my thumb.

I've also had my left index finger removed. The removal process was started by a frightened horse on one end of a rope and my index finger entangled in the loops of the other end. Doctors completed the removal quite successfully.

The incident with the horse was 25 years ago and I spend a good number of years in construction, actually in building and installing cabinets. I was very good at it despite the missing finger but the my back couldn't keep up with it. I've moved on to computers and my current job requires a good deal of typing. I deal with the limitations OK, just slows my typing to about 25 to 30 words a minute.

However the more recent damage to my right hand by a table saw changes the way I do every thing. I find that in order to do the things around the house I'm using the left hand for any heavy work. Since I continued to build cabinets and do wood working I'm finding I'm causing minor injury to my hand more and more lately. I'm remodeling my pool house to a rental apt by adding a kitchen and a few other thing but the digging to run the power and the rest of the construction projects involved has led me to understand that to protect what is left of my hands I need gloves. Problem being that the extra finger on the left hand glove that I don't have a finger for keeps getting in the way. That empty glove finger has snagged on several tools, I'd like to avoid getting my hand pulled into power equipment if possible.

So I need to find someone that can alter heavy-duty work gloves. I've tried a couple of leather workers that do work on horse equipment but my skin is a bit more delicate than horse hide and their fixes are too rough and course. Seamstresses can't deal with the leather.

Any suggestions?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 05:56 PM
    I think your best bet may be to find a seamstress that could make you some.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 06:33 PM
    This is a bit too late for the saw, but check out SawStop. It won't cut a hot dog or fingers, but will cut dry wood. Wet wood if you disable the safety.

I had a close call with a chain saw once and one nice pinch of the pinky with a hammer (<18 YO). I took care of them myself and had no problems. I learned from these close calls.

Altering a glove doesn't seem to be too hard EXCEPT, the alterer needs a mold of your hand and a decent fitting pair of gloves that fit the other fingers well.

Hand sewing with button thread ought to work.

The padding could be from the hard upolstery material and another section from another glove for the palm.

Since I have upolstered when I was 16 and slightly older, although not professionally. I can sew with button thread and a treadle sewing machine.
    The treadle is an ersatz upulstering machine, but it worked. I've sewed rug binding by hand and it's tough.

Kevlar might be durable.

I see your delemma. Check out an upolstery place. See if you can get/make a mold of your hand.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Since you may these for a long time, you might be able to get a number custom made. Industrial Wholesale Gloves For Extreme Hand Protection It's only a thought.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:48 PM
    It's the type of sewing machine that can make all the difference. Having a good pattern/mold of your hand is essential too. This is creative work for the seamstress. Get all of the concepts together for the right person and your gloves will happen.
    Uber Member

Aug 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
    I found these. Might be easy to modify.

www.maxfitcomfort.com
    kat the bat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2013, 09:47 AM
    I also cut off half my finger with a wood splitter. I would also like to find a pair of gloves that will not snag where my finger is missing. If you find anything please contact me @ (607)-651-8484

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glove box light remains lit [ 2 Answers ]

2001 Ford Explorer - Glove box lamp remains lit all the time. Any secrets on this one? Unable to remove lamp.

Creating customized pdf's for clients from a website? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a website that customizes a contract for clients to fill out and fax into me. I was just having them print the webpage but I have found that where page 1 ends differs from user to user (and I have an initial section at the bottom of each page). I am trying to find a way to either be able...

Customized footer style in Word 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Word 2007 has a series of customized footer styles when you select to insert a footer. The 3rd one down, title alphabet, has a horizontal double line of sorts. My question is two-fold. First, is there a way to use that footer but change the color of the horizontal lines? (I tried to right...

Glove Comparment won't open! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 1999 Honda Civic LX Sedan and my glove comparment is stuck. The glove compartment itself has no lock on it. It just feels like it's locked. I assume something is lodged somewhere. I've banged it around with my fist, my ice scraper... all just to dislodge whatever may be there and...

View customized Myspace profiles? [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a way to view customized Myspace profiles in normal mode? The problem with customized profiles is that they take an age to load and they are not always compatible with my monitor display. I'm sick of waiting 5 minutes for a profile to load, and then when I click on something, I have to...

View more questions Search