Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pk23 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 03:47 PM
    OPT-H1B Tax returns
    Hi,

1) I was on OPT till 12th Jan 2005 and since then I am working on H1B visa. So which form should I fill up?
    2) Can I use apartment rent, auto insurance, tuition fees paid in 2004, in itemized deduction?
    3) I work in a pharmaceutical company. Since Feb 2005, my actual work location (research lab) has changed from what was mentioned on my H1B petition. My company’s office is at different location. So can I use mileage and gas money to and from my job?
    4) If I send money to India, can I use it as a deduction even though my parents don’t have green card or US citizenship?
    5) I am expecting money from IRS, so in that case, is it right that the deadline for tax filling is 1st Aug?

Thanks,
    PK
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 05:56 PM
    Not touching on your immigration status:

2. No. You cannot deduct rent, auto insurance, or tuition paid in 2004 (it might be possible to deduct tuition you paid in 2005).

3. You cannot deduct commuting costs. You might be able to deduct business milleage (but not both milleage and gas).

4. No.

5. No, it's April 15.

You take deductions waaaay to generously.
    Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 10:17 PM
    1) File Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. You have met Substantial Presence Test and must file as a resident alien.

Vaya's answers are all accurate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 Tax Returns - Necessary? [ 1 Answers ]

What happens if we never file a tax return for the duration of our work visa (3 years)? Is it possible to go back to our home country without any consequence or does the IRS pay special attention to resident aliens? Will the IRS come after us or audit us, or will they more likely allow us to...

Tax Returns Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have worked on OPT till March 2005 and after that I have been working on H1B. Can you please tell me what tax return forms should I use for Federal and State. 1040/1040 NR/ 1040 NR EZ ? 40/40NR ? Appreciate your help. Thanks

Tax Returns Question [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have worked on OPT till March 2005 and after that I have been working on H1B. Can you please tell me what tax return forms should I use for Federal and State. 1040/1040 NR/ 1040 NR EZ ? 40/40NR ? Appreciate your help. Thanks

Federal tax returns [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my scenario - I was on F1 student visa from Aug 2002-July 2005 and on OPT after that. I started my H1B visa on Oct 1 2005. I went to India for about 3 weeks in Nov-Dec 2005. I have the following questions about my tax status - 1) Would I be filing the usual 1040NR-EZ and 8843...

Dr Who Returns [ 1 Answers ]

Following on from Nez's excellent post Here; Who is your favorite Dr Who actor? For those that don't know Peter Cushing played the Doctor in Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.!! I can't include David Tenant as he hasn't started yet ;) More here about the Classic Dr's

View more questions Search