Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Rolling OVer 401K Assets into a Rollover IRA
    ALL CONCERNED:

Several have posted doubts about opening 401K accounts because of the taxes owed and the 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty due when they would have to close the account upon the return to mtheir home country.

I called the IRS International Tax Hotline, and the IRS representative clearly stated that anyone with an ITIN could open a rollover IRA and manage it from their home country WITHOUT breaking any laws.

Some clients have had problems getting certain IRA custodians to open rollover accounts for them, so I emailed Charles Schwab. Their answer is below:

If foreign nationals have earned U.S. income and a tax identification number, they can rollover 401(k) assets to a Rollover IRA and even make a regular contribution to the account as well. They will retain the tax deferred status when they return to their home country. If they take a distribution, it will be taxable based on the U.S. tax treaty with their home country. It would be advisable for them to consult a tax advisor such as yourself, or one in their home country, to determine their tax liability in such a situation.

Also below is the email address I used, plus the Charles Schwab website.

https://www.schwab.com/

[email protected]

I hope you find this information helpful

Check out some similar questions!

401K rollover [ 1 Answers ]

My company has just split off the division I work under and set up a new company with 60% owned by an outside investor and 40% owned by the current company. In all other financial areas, I am now no longer an employee of company A, but an employee of company B. Meaning: for company A I have a...

Rolling 90% of 401k into IRA and cashing out balance [ 1 Answers ]

Since I am no expert on this, let me first say what I have heard, and then you can correct me if needed. I have heard that if someone age 55 or older retires from their employer, and is no longer a active employee, that they can cash out their 401k monies and only pay regular income tax on it, no...

Rolling 401k to an IRA [ 2 Answers ]

I have heard that you can roll a 401k into an IRA with no penalty. I have also heard that you can make a one time penalty free $10,000 withdrawal from an IRA for a first time home buyer. If both of these are true is this a potnetial way to get around the penalty from making the withdrawal...

401K rollover problem [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 401K and quit to work for another company which doesn't offer 401K, I tried calling my former employer several times to roll my 401K into an investment of my choice but my former employer refused my phone calls, has since been sold to another company and now my 401K has rolled over into...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.